Thread: Road noise and air seal question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Road noise and air seal question.

Hey all, so all the cars i have worked on have had an air pressure vent in the back left or right corner of the car. Its there so that the air pressure equalizes when you close your door and the seals don't pop from being pressurized.

The issue being, they are generally fairly large and are always made from super thin plastic. They let SO much road noise in. I have a couple ideas on how to address the issue but im curious what all you have done on your vehicles to fix the issue

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Road noise and air seal question.

When my truck seats are in, I can't hear the road noise from them. When the seats are out I could. I left them as they are the least of my road noise concerns and have a very valuable job to do (not just for opening and closing doors but also allow your AC/Heat unit to function properly). I guess you could cover them with an aperiodic membrane or something, that still allows air to flow out but could block some sound limited amount of sound.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3

A flap of MLV over them.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lol

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    Hey all, so all the cars i have worked on have had an air pressure vent in the back left or right corner of the car. Its there so that the air pressure equalizes when you close your door and the seals don't pop from being pressurized.

The issue being, they are generally fairly large and are always made from super thin plastic. They let SO much road noise in. I have a couple ideas on how to address the issue but im curious what all you have done on your vehicles to fix the issue
    Sometimes in my car at about 80 it practically sounds like the window isn't up all the way! I'd love to quiet that down some how. Please share your ideas.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Sometimes in my car at about 80 it practically sounds like the window isn't up all the way! I'd love to quiet that down some how. Please share your ideas.
    Last post is what i did.

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...8231#post68231

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
    Thanks so much for the link - it's a practical solution!