Thread: Tuning midbass drivers...the struggle continues

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

Re: Tuning midbass drivers...the struggle continues

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGash View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm concerned with. I don't have much experience measuring. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and it seems like when I see people measure midbass drivers the response is a lot more linear than what I measure. I wasn't expecting to see such a lower end roll off nor was I expecting to see all those peaks and dips all across the pass band.
    All those dips and peaks are normal for a midbass driver.
    Just check my measurements of my unequalized midbass drivers (both with variable smoothing in this screenshot).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midbass.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	14918

Peaks and dips everywhere, and this is with the doors fully done with sound treatment...
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by Cathul View Post
    All those dips and peaks are normal for a midbass driver.
    Just check my measurements of my unequalized midbass drivers (both with variable smoothing in this screenshot).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midbass.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	14918

Peaks and dips everywhere, and this is with the doors fully done with sound treatment...
    Yes, but yours are relatively equal in amplitude... within reason.

The OP was expressing concern over 10dB+ differences between the left and right side. Even having totally mismatched woofers, or 1/4 the power on one side, wouldn't make a difference of that scale.

Lots depends on where the measurements were made, and some (LOTS of) cars are cancellation nightmares in the midbass region - but that is pretty extreme. Even for a car with a giant center console and supercar-shaped dash and windshield angle 10dB is big.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Peter
    Vehicle
    Ford Mustang GT Premium

I only tried to level match it as good as i can before equalizing the drivers. With default settings the left midbass was way louder.
    SYNC3 headunit
    Mosconi Pico 8/10 DSP
    Mosconi D2 500.1
    Gladen Zero Pro 165.3 DC
    JL Audio 10w3v3 in custom enclosure (Blueprint by Mark @Caraudiofabrication)

4. Back To Top    #24

The reason I suggested IB under seats is often there is room to do what I did originally and made a small enclosure for the driver and then use a hole saw to open up to the exterior of the vehicle, the difference it makes to midbass naturalness with the right driver is unreal for a very easy to build solution to a normally complex problem

i am not suggesting spending a week cutting and welding in laser cut 10mm steel baffles as that is a bit extreme 👍🏼