Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go.... back in the game..... looking for input

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2020 Model Y

Here we go.... back in the game..... looking for input

Hello to all....

After a 20 year span of NOT upgrading my car's sound.... enough is enough...

I have a system planned for my Model Y. Getting Nick to do the install. We have pretty much decided on the gear....

Brax Matrix ML1, ML3, ML8 up front.... Mosconi Pro 4/10 x 2 Mosconi Pro 1/10 x 1.... Audio Frog 10" sub.... stealth install... no A pillars..... rear fill from stock speakers.....

My concern is whether the sub is too small to make a difference with the ML8 up front.

Also, the Helix C Four's are looking for interesting as well.....

I am looking for an SQ build.... one that would satisfy serious audiophiles... not looking for the typical car stereo sound, where the bass just overloads the cabin.....

Whenever someone tries to show off their system to me, they pump the bass.... I want to hear the details.... background detail... purity... transparency..... depth, width, height..... NOT just thump, thump, thump!...

Because of my likes, I'm wondering if the 6" Brax should be used instead of the 8". I would love to hear thoughts from those with real SQ systems....

I have too much time between now and the tentative date of the install..... besides the anticipation, just extra research time, is driving me nuts....

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Here we go.... back in the game..... looking for input

Welcome to the best mobile audio forum on the interweb!!!

Honestly, driver selection should be determined by a number of things. Speaker placement (location), available space, and intended crossover frequencies would be the most common determining factors.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

That is some impressive gear and having Nick do the install is even better.

I don't have a real SQ system but FWIW I got a demo in Brian Mitchell's ELR at a MECA event this past February and that system sounded incredible. He has the standard 3 way component sizes with a 6" mid and his sub is a single 10" in the passenger footwell. His stage was so good a noob like me would have sworn there was a center channel but of course there wasn't. I think he also doubles up his power on the mid bass.

I never knew a car audio system could sound so good, I just got exposed to real SQ systems in 2020.

(1117) The most amazing best sounding car we have heard from Brian Mitchell of Arc Audio - YouTube
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Good lord at that equipment list. My head hurt just calculating the tab for it. i can't imagine how good that will sound with a quality installer doing the work as well. Jesus.

Wilkommen.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    Hello to all....

After a 20 year span of NOT upgrading my car's sound.... enough is enough...

I have a system planned for my Model Y. Getting Nick to do the install. We have pretty much decided on the gear....

Brax Matrix ML1, ML3, ML8 up front.... Mosconi Pro 4/10 x 2 Mosconi Pro 1/10 x 1.... Audio Frog 10" sub.... stealth install... no A pillars..... rear fill from stock speakers.....

My concern is whether the sub is too small to make a difference with the ML8 up front.

Also, the Helix C Four's are looking for interesting as well.....

I am looking for an SQ build.... one that would satisfy serious audiophiles... not looking for the typical car stereo sound, where the bass just overloads the cabin.....

Whenever someone tries to show off their system to me, they pump the bass.... I want to hear the details.... background detail... purity... transparency..... depth, width, height..... NOT just thump, thump, thump!...

Because of my likes, I'm wondering if the 6" Brax should be used instead of the 8". I would love to hear thoughts from those with real SQ systems....

I have too much time between now and the tentative date of the install..... besides the anticipation, just extra research time, is driving me nuts....
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

I think you will be just fine once it’s tuned. I’m sure Nick will level match everything to your liking. And welcome to the fray!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2020 Model Y

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    I think you will be just fine once it’s tuned. I’m sure Nick will level match everything to your liking. And welcome to the fray!

I'm wondering how necessary a 10"sub would bow in that system...... no sub? or 12" sub?....

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

I can't imagine going without a subwoofer. In fact I have two. Bass is my least favorite part of music, I also prefer the details. I feel like the bass has to be there, but only when its supposed to be there. I hate when people crank the bass when the song has very little bass in the first place. You have some great equipment and one of the best installers. I can't wait to see the progress. Good luck.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2020 Model Y

I understand.... I can't imagine going without a sub as well.... But then again I never used an 8" mid bass in the door..... so I am concerned the bass would be too heavy.... now it is easy to think, just tune it to your liking.... but if I am going to limit the 8inch's low end, why get 8"... what not 6+" and spend the money on a great sub..... or even a enclosure for the 6"?

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2020 Model Y

Ok. Its been a long wait..... but good things come to those....

I take my Model Y in tomorrow to start the install (Nick Apicella)... its gonna be a looooooooong couple of weeks...... but nothing like the wait to get the time slot..... Nick is crazy busy.... that's a good thing!

As of now it will be:

Brax Matrix 3-way, Brax ML 10 Sub, Helix C Four x 2, C One x 1, Helix DSP Ultra, Astell & Kern SE200, Helix Conductor (although I'm not sure if I'd prefer the Director.... TBD, I guess...

This car better last me 10 years!!!!

I might need to be held, or rocked to sleep for the next couple of weeks......
    Last edited by Miyagi; 03-18-2021 at 07:55 PM.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Ask Nick or tell him you have concerns about the 10 not fulfilling your need for bass output. He won’t steer you wrong. I have a 10 in my truck and my van too but in a ported box and they are enough for me but I need a 12 (currently sealed) for my CX5 because I can, lol. For a short while I had two GB12’s ported but that was just insane. Too much bass in fact.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901