Thread: Will I need to cut the cables to install an aftermarket radio?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will I need to cut the cables to install an aftermarket radio?

Hi, I am a newbie about tech, but I'd like to upgrade my car radio so that to refresh the interior and add more features. One thing is that will I need to cut any cables on my car? If so, is there another alternative? I really don't want to end up with mess in my car.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will I need to cut the cables to install an aftermarket radio?

Depends what car, but do a quick ebay or google search for stereo adaptor lead for whatever vehicle it is, often people do the opposite plug to the dash plug as an aftermarket accessory with an iso lead on the end

3. Back To Top    #3

the other alternative is T-taps if you don't want to cut wires. They are a standard in audio shops and work well.

For a CD player, I much much prefer the stereo adapter. Much.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

In addition to the great content here and depending on how you learn best, you can also search You Tube for Five Car Stereo or Car Audio Fabrication

To see some high end systems check out Apicella Auto Sound, Pssound, and Matt Schaeffer just to name a few.

You didn't mention what car you had but search for your car in the Five Car Stereo channel. Lots of install examples of using wiring harnesses, some MFGs have better offerings for some cars versus other cars, iDatalink, Metra, Pac-Audio, Carav all offer some form of finished T-harnesses or pieces you would use to make your own T-harness

(1114) How do I find a T harness for my factory radio - YouTube
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends on what radio you have. I got one Chinese unit, manufacture is XTRONS. It came with a vehicle-specific wiring harness , i could just use it to connect my new XTRONS stereo to my vehicle's factory wiring harnesses. everything works seamlessly, just like the factory stereo did.If a harness is not available for your vehicle or if the factory stereo plug was cut off, you'll need to identify each of the car's stereo wires and connect them to the corresponding wires of your new stereo.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    Depends what car, but do a quick ebay or google search for stereo adaptor lead for whatever vehicle it is, often people do the opposite plug to the dash plug as an aftermarket accessory with an iso lead on the end
    thanks, yes, right, seems I have to spend more effort to find a right Android unit for my car.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERMARIO0615 View Post
    Depends on what radio you have. I got one Chinese unit, manufacture is XTRONS. It came with a vehicle-specific wiring harness , i could just use it to connect my new XTRONS stereo to my vehicle's factory wiring harnesses. everything works seamlessly, just like the factory stereo did.If a harness is not available for your vehicle or if the factory stereo plug was cut off, you'll need to identify each of the car's stereo wires and connect them to the corresponding wires of your new stereo.
    One of my friends recommend me to choose Pioneer, but I will take a look at it. Thanks a lot.