Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best boom for the buck, help me choose a pair of 8"subs

1. Back To Top    #1

Best boom for the buck, help me choose a pair of 8"subs

Trying to decide on some subs for my 92 vette. These will be going into the mostly sealed rear speaker boxes. Volume is an estimated 0.4 cuft, with 900rms at 2 ohm of power available.

I was looking at the nvx 8, it's the cheapest at 50 bucks and so has a foam surround and paper cone, but does have a shorting ring.

Also considering the soundstream r3 8". Not much info, slightly more money at 70 bucks, but has a rubber surround and poly cone. No mention of a shorting ring, and very little info as far as reviews or anything. Could be a cheap sub trying to cash in on a once respected brand. I don't like spiders.

Then there's the perennial favorites, the Dayton audios. The reference ho and ultimax both are like 120 bucks, both fit spec wise, and both could work. Lots of good press on the ho, less reviews for the ultimax, but people say it sounds good, but the o is more natural sounding (whatever that means).

Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best boom for the buck, help me choose a pair of 8"subs

Check out Image Dynamics ID8. About $90 ea. Tough to beat at this price point!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I've only heard the Ultimax in the 12 inch size but if that 8 can do 1/3 of what the 12 can do....you won't be disappointed. Especially with that available power.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

4. Back To Top    #4

I second the ID8, but you wont hear any 8" sub over that 92 vette noise
    2018 Crosstrek Helix P-Six DSP Mk2 AF GB15 AF GB25 AF GS690 Audiomobile Evo 8(2) PPI Art Series A600.2

5. Back To Top    #5

Less reviews on the Ultimax? I'm surprised to hear that - especially in 8" size.

If you are limited to "just" two eights, you really need a lot of excursion to compensate for not having much cone area. The Ultimax deliver in that area, plus should sound good. Don't the Ultimax also have some of the nicer SQ features, shorting ring to help with inductance and a flatter BL curve, etc?
    Parts Express says they are out of stock until March - that's a shame, but I think that's due to their popularity.

Sure, they aren't cheap - but they aren't expensive, either. And if you compare specs - including displacement - to other subs, they really should perform more like 10's or even some 12's, honestly.
    Their Reference HO doesn't look bad either, but the Ultimax should handily outperform it.

Specs do matter - they are measurements of capability.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well that sucks. The ultimax ES were supposed to be in stock this week when I looked the other day, lol. I guess I messed up not buying them a couple months ago lol.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

The Alpine Type-R 8" has always been a formidable option.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

8. Back To Top    #8

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

9. Back To Top    #9

But seriously, Sundown's got some good 8s, too:

https://www.woofersetc.com/c-23-subw...rand%5B%5D=238
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    SMOKE
    Vehicle
    2006 ZO6 2008 F150

Fan of the JL 8W7 as well. Those things get after it.

Lemans Blue ZO6. Pioneer HU, Focal and Dayton drivers, JL VXi, JL XD, TW5's...and on and on...