Thread: OEM Audio Plus VS Custom Build

1. Back To Top    #1

OEM Audio Plus VS Custom Build

Hi all! It's been a while since I built my own system for a vehicle but I recently got a 2021 Tacoma double cab non-jbl and would like to upgrade the audio system but keep the head unit. I've seen a lot of people speak highly of the OEM Audio Plus system but I feel like it's kinda mostly marketing as most of them are youtubers. I want to build a system for around $2000-$2500. Been looking at other alternatives like the Infinity Kappa 90csx for the front doors and dash and the Infinity Kappa 62ix for the rear doors and a couple JL Audio 10" or 12" TW3 subs. For processing I've been looking at the JL Audio Fix 86 and not quite sure yet to do on amplification. I really would like to know if anyone has any experience with the OEM Audio and if it's something that actually is comparable to a nice custom system for roughly the same money.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: OEM Audio Plus VS Custom Build

Very few OEM's compete against aftermarket, they have different design goals and a bunch of $$ people stopping them from doing everything they want.

You will definitely get more bang for the buck with aftermarket.

The fix just fixes the factory signal, there really isn't much DSP work that it can do.

If you are looking for an all in one solution, I would go JL VXI series or Helix series with the edge in amp to the JL and the edge in dsp to the helix. Helix you can't bridge channels and is slightly lower power amp.

If you are looking for stand alone amp/dsp. Lots of options here and this will depend on how much you spend in other spots. MMatts class d is the current leader in performance/space but lots of others work well. Biketronics is neat in that they use hypex modules (I believe the ucd series) and are SUPER small.

DSP's have a range too but I would stick with either the dayton for budget, minidsp or helix for better performance/features. JL's aren't bad, they just limit some things.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

The Fix can't "fix" the factory signal in a Toyota.
    Doug Dobson

4. Back To Top    #4

So just to maybe clarify "OEM Audio Plus" is a company that created an aftermarket whole car solution which includes a dsp programmed by them and an amplifier and speakers. I was trying to see if anyone has had experience with that setup vs a truly custom one.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Link to that?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
    The Fix can't "fix" the factory signal in a Toyota.
    So the JL Fix 86 won't have any benefit with the Toyota factory head unit? What would?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Link to that?
    https://oemaudioplus.com/product/toy...eference-500q/

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

The Toyota uses all pass filters on the outputs of the radio. You need to either utilize the signal as it is, or you can test to figure out where the all pass filter is and counter it by adding one on the opposite input channel. To do this you need a DSP that offers all pass filters on the input side. I know all of the Audiotec Fischer products with the ACO processing can do this. I'm sure there are others, but I honestly don't know who.
    Doug Dobson

9. Back To Top    #9

The Toyota uses all pass filters on the outputs of the radio. You need to either utilize the signal as it is, or you can test to figure out where the all pass filter is and counter it by adding one on the opposite input channel. To do this you need a DSP that offers all pass filters on the input side. I know all of the Audiotec Fischer products with the ACO processing can do this. I'm sure there are others, but I honestly don't know who.
    Awesome! Thanks for this information! I will have to look more into this and see if they make what I need or if some other companies offer that.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a Tacoma as well, can you please explain this a little more. I don't understand how an allpass filter exists when the front outputs go to both the tweeter and the woofer, so it should be a full range signal.

Woudn't any dsp, or passive crossover for that matter, be able to use the signal from the HU?