Thread: Cab Floor Reflections

1. Back To Top    #1

Cab Floor Reflections

Is it possible that the hard rubber floor in the front of my van could be causing reflections? It's a Ford Transit Custom. The mid woofers (Helix 6.5's) are in the factory location in the front doors and are only a couple of inches above floor level. The cab floor is flat from one side to the other with no centre console or tunnel. Would it be beneficial to put a carpet mat over the rubber flooring?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: Cab Floor Reflections

I have no doubts that there are reflections. A cheap piece of carpet, towels or blankets, etc. would be a very easy thing to try before purchasing something like floor mats. I have my mid/tweet combo mounted in my a-pillars and the simple addition of a carpet dash mat made a HUGE difference in cleaning up my imaging. Even my 14 year old son got in my car after adding the mat and mentioned how much better it sounded from the passenger seat.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Sure there's a reflection. There's also one off the steering wheel, your seatbelt buckle, review mirror, etc.
    Trying to treat those is well into the realm of diminishing returns.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

Carpet or even 2” thick foam won’t stop reflections at low frequencys... higher up even if two way you need the depth to be half the wavelength to be effective... so 6.5cm maybe 4cm if at an acute angle perhaps... there are bigger things to worry about in a van that you can’t change (dimensions for a start) that floor reflections (it also has foam on the rear anyway to absorb and quiet road noise...) are the least of your worries acoustically ����