Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Re: 2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

Front door speakers are in, we put 1 square of Resonix behind the mid bass and used Fastrings since we had to cut out the baffle that was built into the door panel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201128_133813 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	14747

As an aside, my dog was obsessed with being in the car with us while we worked and since I am obsessed with my Jack Chi, here you go

Name:	20201127_140152 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	14748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201127_140303 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	14749

Some of the harness work

Name:	20201127_194152 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	14750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201129_152108 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	14751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201129_153453 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	14752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201130_122744 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	14753

I thought about breaking the JBL crossover into pieces but then decided against it when I saw the board was glued in, didn't want to mess with it, if it had been screwed in, I would have removed it and at least looked at the PCB to see what breaking up would have looked like

Name:	20201127_130548 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	14754

System fired up first try and audio SWC worked, here's the recipient of the present and my dog listening to the new system

Name:	20201128_134532 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	271.2 KB 
ID:	14755

I need to come back with a picture of the HU installed, left out the AC vents for a couple days to make sure everything was ok but now everything is buttoned up.

The back-up camera displays in its factory location on a small screen above the HU, I have a harness coming that will allow me to get the video signal to the HU as well, the factory camera does not use a standard RCA jack. I could have spliced an RCA lead into the factory harness to get video to the new HU but since a harness was available for under $15 I went that route. I also need to add a Volt 39 to toggle the back-up view, factory screen uses two wires to determine view, with the factory radio gone, these have no voltage on them and they display the default wide view (fish eye). I need to put 6V on one of the wires to get normal view, voltage on both gets you more of a bird's eye view.

He seems uncertain about adding an amp, he really likes the sound he has now versus his old factory system and considers it plenty loud. We talked about having power in reserve for the dynamic nature of music but we will wait and see, he leaves for a couple of weeks and then comes back and leaves his car with us as he flies home for Xmas.

We set up the crossover and basic time correction built into the HU setting up all three presets but we still need to get in there and do a basic tune. I only have 9 bands but not only is it parametric (with narrow, standard, and wide bands) the frequency of each band has a range it can be set at

Band1: 20 Hz to 100 Hz (63 Hz)Band2: 63 Hz to 315 Hz (125 Hz)Band3: 125 Hz to 500 Hz (250 Hz)Band4: 250 Hz to 1 kHz (500 Hz)Band5: 500 Hz to 2 kHz (1 kHz)Band6: 1 kHz to 4 kHz (2 kHz)Band7: 2 kHz to 7.2 kHz (4 kHz)Band8: 5.8 kHz to 12 kHz (8 kHz)Band9: 9 kHz to 20 kHz (16 kHz)

This is my first install since 1989/90 and overall it was pretty satisfying, it left me wanting to do more installs. My Mustang is in progress but I jumped on the CRV due to his schedule. I look forward to getting back on the Mustang but I did try and talk my daughter into at least changing out the head unit in her Mazda 6 so she can have Car Play before she heads back to school in JAN. I offered her the Sony XAV-AX8000 with the 9 IN screen. She has no interest in anything beyond the same HU we gave her boyfriend and she's still on the fence about replacing the HU. She thinks her Bose system is just fine. As she already said to me, she rather spend the money on high fashion shoes then on the car, I kid you not...
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Re: 2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

Here's the HU installed with the upper display showing the back-up camera

Name:	20201203_162555 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	14777

Here's the budget tune showing the baseline of the factory HU & speakers, the house curve, and the tune I have in there now. I actually had a better tune but when I went to try and improve it further, I kind of lost track where I has on the HU

The HU has 9 bands parametric with 1/3 octave frequency adjustment for each band and Q values of Wide, Medium, and Narrow.

I didn't do a good enough job tracking what I was changing and couldn't back to the better curve easily so I blew everything away and started over but then ran out of time (for now). When the car is back in a couple of weeks, if its not too cold, I will try and improve it.

Keep in mind there's no sub and the crossover for the door mids are set at 50 Hz with L/R 24 db slope. Its because I don't have a sub I feel like the JBL curve was better then the AF curve but to be honest, I haven't settled on a curve yet, I did download Jazzi's tool and plan to spend some time with it as well.

Name:	CRV_PS01_Post_Budget_Tune - Copy.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	14778

Kurt drove around last night with a curve that was worse then the one above and really liked it and said it was better then the factory EQ settings he tried so I guess that's something.

Here's the PEQ in the HU, I feel like if I knew what I was doing I could have already gotten the curve where I want it, still learning how the different changes effect what, not just whether I'm boosting or cutting a frequency (& what 1/3 octave) but how wide to apply the Q. The difference between using narrow and wide seems easy enough but its a bit more subtle for me when to use medium versus narrow or medium versus wide depending on how the measure RTA looks.

Name:	20201204_123047 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	14779

Just playing around with this 9 band PEQ showed me the value of it over a standard graphic EQ which is what I am going to have in the Mustang . If I learned anything out of this build is I should have gone ahead and started with a budget build on the Mustang and learned a few things before over investing in a less then optimal path...
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...