Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

Giving my daughter's boyfriend a budget build for Xmas that will get installed over Thanksgiving while he is here (we are also replacing his coils and spark plugs, he just hit 100,000 miles in September). Nobody knows I ordered this equipment today.

Head Unit - Alpine iLX-W650 (my first choice, Kenwood, was out of stock but I am happy with this one)

Speakers - JBL Club 602C Front Doors Only (Black Friday Sale - also due to holiday didn't want to get into any custom fab so purchased something that "fit" with provided adapters)

Plan is to retain SWC (Metra)

Picked up a PAC Volt 39 so back-up camera can be moved from the dedicated screen above the factory radio to the radio itself. Apparently needed to give the camera the right voltage and ground right from its connection point in the dash area.

Hoping to add an Alpine KTP-445U for the front stage if it hasn't sold yet, seller and I are in same half of the state so I may be able to get it on time.

I may bench test an old Pioneer amp I have from my late 80's early 90's car stereo days and use it to drive a couple of small door mounted subs (Kicker or JL Audio) if the amp is good. Young kid will continue moving around a lot over the next 5 to 10 years so I don't want to burden him with an enclosure. Maybe I can get one of those slim 8" subs under the front passenger seat.

As a side note, is it wrong that while I am working on my Mustang build I started thinking about a system for the Highlander and then when that was sorted out I moved on to the Silverado and then to this one. I still have my daughters car to figure out as well, a Mazda 6.
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: 2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

Quote Originally Posted by MegaG View Post
    Maybe I can get one of those slim 8" subs under the front passenger seat..
    One of those slim 8s should fit. If I’m assuming right based on what you said, the car is not at your immediate disposal...? If it helps my wife has a 2012 CRV that has the factory “subwoofer” under the passenger seat. I can always measure the available space if you need me to.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    One of those slim 8s should fit. If I’m assuming right based on what you said, the car is not at your immediate disposal...? If it helps my wife has a 2012 CRV that has the factory “subwoofer” under the passenger seat. I can always measure the available space if you need me to.
    That is a very generous offer, one that I would like to take you up on when you get the chance. Thanks so much.

I went by my local car audio place today to see what they had, their Black Friday sale starts tomorrow. They had the JL Micro subs as well as a down firing Kenwood Excelon. They also had a self-powered Focal that seemed like it would be perfect except for the cost. It would have to be at least 50% off to even consider it.

I was also surprised to see they had one of the Nakamichi Head Units, not on display, just for sale. I didn't ask to look at it since I knew I wasn't going to buy one.

I realize this build isn't going to live up to the normal standards around here, especially in equipment selection, but I thought it would also be a nice way to introduce him to the hobby. When he needed his brakes done and couldn't afford the dealer cost, I offered to do them for him, I have the tools, but he ended up doing most of the work with me coaching him because he wanted to learn. I still managed to get hell of sore after that day...

Though he won't have a true DSP I still plan on showing him REW. He got his degree from a specialized school in Show Production to work in the Live Entertainment business so he knows and appreciate good sound systems. This may not be top notch but it will be far better then the factory set-up he has.
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

4. Back To Top    #4

Good on ya for teaching someone not only about the hobby but car stuff in general

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by MegaG View Post
    I realize this build isn't going to live up to the normal standards around here, especially in equipment selection, but I thought it would also be a nice way to introduce him to the hobby. When he needed his brakes done and couldn't afford the dealer cost, I offered to do them for him, I have the tools, but he ended up doing most of the work with me coaching him because he wanted to learn. I still managed to get hell of sore after that day...

Though he won't have a true DSP I still plan on showing him REW. He got his degree from a specialized school in Show Production to work in the Live Entertainment business so he knows and appreciate good sound systems. This may not be top notch but it will be far better then the factory set-up he has.
    We are Car Audio Junkies not car audio snobs. We're just happy you are helping someone with an install. Looking forward to pictures.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    We are Car Audio Junkies not car audio snobs. We're just happy you are helping someone with an install. Looking forward to pictures.
    This exactly... man I wish when I was younger one of my GF's dads would have hooked me up like this. Teaching someone to DIY is really one of the best skills to pass on, it is so useful in the real world. I was lucky that my dad did this for me very young, but good on you for taking the time to teach him, both he and your daughter will greatly benefit from the example you are leading by. Kudos

While a lot of people do some amazing high end builds on here, you don't need to spend $$$$ to get a decent system. I am probably going to throw a budget build together here soon for one of my cars just to see what is possible without going crazy. I always ended up blowing my budget out of the water, so doing something simple and sticking to the plan sounds actually like a worthwhile pursuit.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

I tried to get the best pics I could, but if they don’t work for you or you need more detail(s) let me know. I can yank the passenger seat if necessary but that would have to wait until the weekend.

Between the seat rails measures 13.25”
    Available height is about 4” without touching anything under the seat.
    The OEM Honda “sub” is 12” front to back but as you’ll see in one of my pics I positioned the seat where I’d normally have it (I’m 6’2”) then sat in the back & there's a few extra inches to spare and still keep it concealed. There’s about an extra 2” available in front and 7” to the rear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E752C84-5C49-476A-A743-05C89A574D50.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	14611

View from the front:
    I don’t know why the image is upside down... I’ve tried 3 times and it’s not flipped on my phone.

Name:	143C1F1C-384F-4F8D-AD51-AF3BC69F362C.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	14613

Not all is is optimal though... in the next pic you’ll see the OEM enclosure is molded around the rear-seat vent. That should be your only hiccup though.

Name:	94656406-C63E-4E74-AF8A-EABEE8C49E4B.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	14612

I hope any of that helps. Again, if you need more details or better pics, let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04CAFB97-2620-4E73-ACB8-84D4EA0FC03A.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	14610  

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

may be a little more expensive than what you're looking for, but one of these could be an option that should be easy to throw in:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-Roc.../dp/B07V4LXVFK

few other brands make similar products (jbl, cdt, cerwin vega), but i think they're all more expensive than the rockville.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle

Thanks Todd, that really helps.

Right now I am trying to decide between a small self powered unit that can fit under the seat or I can install an amp under the seat and let him mull over the sub solution he is willing to give up room for...

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle

I've seen the JBL spare tire sub but didn't know CDT had one. This may be a good solution for him as well.

I also came across the JBL Fuse, normally I wouldn't consider something like that but it splits in half and can be installed under each front seat or maybe under the dash...