Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Re: 2012 Honda CRV Xmas BUDGET Build

Now I see why I didn't know about the CDT spare wheel sub, its new, they also have two new compact active subwoofer that I think would work out great under the front seat but they are out of stock.

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...15hsub15sl.php

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...minimax400.php

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...minimax320.php

Speaking of CDT, I vacation/visit their area periodically, was disappointed when I called them last year to see if they had any type of showroom to check out their go, it was a no go.

As much as I would like to try a separate mono amp and the new Kicker down firing unit with the passive radiator, I need to be mindful of the budget, how he uses his space, and remember this is about the process first.

I will check out my local shops Black Friday sale that starts tomorrow and if I can't find a self powered sub I like, I may just go with this one, https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8P...ce-B-8PTD.html , which I just learned is Crutchfield house brand. We will just oversize the wire to allow for future changes.
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    Not all is is optimal though... in the next pic you’ll see the OEM enclosure is molded around the rear-seat vent. That should be your only hiccup though.

I hope any of that helps. Again, if you need more details or better pics, let me know.
    Could I trouble you to check the spare tire dimensions and see if this would work?

https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...15hsub15sl.php

The rear seat vent is a bit of a concern with the time constraints we will have and the fact that we are amateurs...

Thanks!

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

I’ll measure when I get home from work... about 5pm EST... check back after that.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

It looks like the shorter version should work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9AB32A5-429A-4722-A3E7-7DBABABDEC3D.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	14617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32A94E37-6B0F-44D1-8480-E34ED2554946.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	14618

The second pic is the depth from the hub of the wheel to the lip of the wheel. If you factor a bit more for the bulge of the tire, and I’m not sure if the floor sits right on the tire or not, the taller version MAY fit but the shorter looks like a safe bet.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle

Excellent, thanks for the measurements. It's good to have another option. This gives me something to mull over.
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle

Ok, I feel defeated, I had a post with pictures ready to go and I accidently closed the browser , I know better, I have told myself in the past when writing longer emails or forum posts to do them in Word and save often, now I am too tired to continue...

7. Back To Top    #17

Yeah Word is the way to go, plus you have a backup in case anything happens down the line or you want to post to a new forum, etc.

Sorry to hear, sucks to spend some time only do something dumb like that... Made a huge mistake like that back in college... spent an entire day doing the better part of half of a research paper (molecular biology) the day before it was due (procrastination at its finest)... I was constantly telling the computer to "snooze" an update and restart. Well, I finished the paper around midnight, got up to go get a snack in the kitchen and when I came back the computer had updated, didn't save my word file (this was 20 years ago and autosave was a little different.) I opened the file to find myself right about where I had started on the paper 12 hours before. It paper was due the next morning, so I pulled an all-nighter and finished the paper 20min before class. Got and A but it was rough

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle

Ok, went by the early Black Friday sale yesterday and had the Crutchfield order come in.

Here are the bigger items, just waiting on Nick's Alpine Power Pack, wiring (may have overdone the KnuKonceptz order), and misc hardware orders to come in

Name:	20201119_150352 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	14636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201119_091745 - Copy - Copy.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	14635

I'm not going to lie, I was tempted to pick up the Nakamichi unit and send the Alpine unit back but I really like how shallow the Alpine unit is since my plan is to install the Power Pack in the dash (only 80% sure that's a good idea)

The JBL components were only $92 and the coax were $46, store manager said that was below their cost, not sure if true but seemed pretty inexpensive for how they looked out of the box

Bonus Picture - my mono amp was an open box purchase so I hooked it up to do a power on test yesterday, so far so good, you can see the load it pulls with no signals or sub hooked up

Name:	20201119_151811 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	14637

9. Back To Top    #19
    Vehicle

Ok, so the happy couple got in Monday around dinner time and gave him the speakers as his present that night. He was very excited.

On Tuesday I took him in the car and took a very basic reading with REW just to get a baseline reading. He was very interested as one of the last classes he took was acoustic measurements.

Name:	CRV_Baseline_Correlated_PN - Copy.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	14690

The orange line is a baseline of my stock Mustang. The other three are of his CRV with bass and treble set to the middle.

We got a late start so the only other thing we did on Tuesday was go through all the speakers, their parts, and how the crossover would be mounted and wired in the front doors. Should him the caps on the units coming out and talked about crossovers (orders and slopes). We then decided how we were going to mount the tweeters. Without getting into all the details these pictures are where we landed. The only thing left to do on these is solder the XT60 connector on the end, he was pretty excited about that as well as he did some soldering in his schools labs.

Name:	20201124_173953 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	14691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201124_185425 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	14692

At this point, as far as he knows, all he is getting are speakers, he has no idea there's a head-unit sitting in a box in the garage though I left the wiring harnesses out on one of the workbenches...

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle

We installed the rear speakers on Wednesday, decided to stick with using the Metra wiring harness and the speaker adapters in the interest of time (as opposed to using the ones that can with the speakers, I would have needed to drill holes and install some rivnuts to use those).

I did talk him though the different options of alternate speaker connections, soldering, as well as the need for custom fab brackets. Showed him the custom ones for my Mustang and went through why the Metra adapters would not work with my speakers. He got these all prepped to go in. We also had to trim the inside of the door panel as it has a plastic cylinder that fit over the factory speakers but does not fit over the aftermarket speaker adapter. I tried to pick up some Fastrings during my morning errands but the local car shop only had 6x9 left.

Name:	20201125_153808 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	14695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201125_153817 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	14696

Name:	20201125_153853 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	14697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201125_154407 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	14698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201125_154833 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	14699

That was all we did, between the short days, other priorities, and errands we didn't have too much time. One priority was replacing his spark plugs and coils. We did that before starting on the speakers. When we finished that and while we were in the engine bay I gave him a tutorial on running amp wires through the firewall, connecting at the battery, fusing, etc, even discussed the Big 3 though that won't be something he will need to worry about any time soon. We identified a couple places we could get through the firewall if he ever needed to in the future

Name:	20201125_131400 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	14700