Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sound deadening questions

1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Sound deadening questions

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    geolemon, if you do get some results with your experiments, I'd love to hear about it too!
    No time yet, but I've purchased two MLV in the two thicknesses, and I'm sitting on piles of MDF and scraps, and have my own install actively going on, so there's no physical barrier to building a rig for sure. Just time constraints.

I haven't built anything yet, but here's my test rig I've worked up in my head:

Two boxes. Really three if you count the one a test speaker will be in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-05 095556.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	16124

Box 1: will have my calibrated mic held inside. Shouldn't really need to be totally enclosed but we'll see. Will have a 6" hole or so in the other end.

Box 2: basically will have a 6" hole in each end. One end will be used to sandwich a piece of MLV between box 1 and 2, boxes screwed together to hold it tight but make it easy to swap MLV.

Box 3: a test speaker (probably a 3") firing into the 6" hole, screwed tight to box 2. I have a bunch of knocked-up test boxes that I don't care about screwing through.

That way, all the sound will be contained in box 2 - other than sound leaking through the MLV.

I'll do sweeps with REW.
    Last edited by geolemon; 08-05-2021 at 08:58 AM.

2. Back To Top    #32

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    No time yet, but I've purchased two MLV in the two thicknesses, and I'm sitting on piles of MDF and scraps, and have my own install actively going on, so there's no physical barrier to building a rig for sure. Just time constraints.

I haven't built anything yet, but here's my test rig I've worked up in my head:

Two boxes. Really three if you count the one a test speaker will be in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-05 095556.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	16124

Box 1: will have my calibrated mic held inside. Shouldn't really need to be totally enclosed but we'll see. Will have a 6" hole or so in the other end.

Box 2: basically will have a 6" hole in each end. One end will be used to sandwich a piece of MLV between box 1 and 2, boxes screwed together to hold it tight but make it easy to swap MLV.

Box 3: a test speaker (probably a 3") firing into the 6" hole, screwed tight to box 2. I have a bunch of knocked-up test boxes that I don't care about screwing through.

That way, all the sound will be contained in box 2 - other than sound leaking through the MLV.

I'll do sweeps with REW.
    Wouldn't that just turn the mlv into a passive radiator? Wouldn't it be better to have the center enclosure vented to atmosphere?

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    Wouldn't that just turn the mlv into a passive radiator? Wouldn't it be better to have the center enclosure vented to atmosphere?
    I don't think it would. It's not going to be able to move, and it doesn't flex.

All that will happen is we'll measure how much sound permeates and see that on a response plot.

If the center cabinet is open to the outside, then the sound will be able to escape as well, and potentially be picked up by the mic.
    In that case, I'd HAVE to seal that mic chamber.

The goal is to have all the sound coming to the mic, only having the path of "through the MLV".

You never know - might even have to do more than just MDF, but hopefully will be good enough for an A/B test.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk