Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Narrowing down the midbass to a few.

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Narrowing down the midbass to a few.

WinISD says they won't reach even my estimated 9 mm excursion with any reasonable high pass filter, at least not with 300 watts, I doubt they'd survive more than that. Anyway, here are the DATSv3 screen shots.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Sound Group Anarchy-704_specs.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	14768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Sound Group Anarchy-704_graph.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	14767

2. Back To Top    #42

I used the "added mass" method here, 2 ounces of adhesive putty. ^^

3. Back To Top    #43

Thanks a lot - that is interesting.
    It's great seeing that impedance plot - I'm going to have to do some modeling of this in different types of enclosures.
    "52 hz" for Fs sounds way below what i need, until you see that plot... I was hoping that maybe there's the possibility of eliminating the 70hz in-car null by maybe playing these down that low. I might squeak it by, if I ran them free-air, but we're well into the impedance rise by 70hz. An 8" passive radiator might be a good option.

I'm curious if yours were broken in for this test? I ask because that's a bit higher than the bench test specs, which were in the 45hz-47hz range. A stiffer suspension would push Fs up a bit. From a mass perspective, or even a coil winding perspective, I wouldn't expect much variance from driver to driver, which is why I'm wondering. You mentioned you had them moving pretty good - was that just a freshly unboxed, free-air run on power? I'd have thought even that would have loosened them up.

But also, I'm noting the test bench data was of the 8 ohm version, and a fundamental earlier unit (had a single-piece top plate) - that obviously changes the coil, and maybe there were other revisions as well.

And since the DIYSoundGroup page doesn't list the T/S specs other than Re, Le and Fs (an odd choice for specs to share) - I think I'm going to be better off using your specs than mine.

I've also got a Dayton WTS around here, so I may take my own, also, eventually.

Big thanks!

4. Back To Top    #44

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    Thanks a lot - that is interesting.
    It's great seeing that impedance plot - I'm going to have to do some modeling of this in different types of enclosures.
    "52 hz" for Fs sounds way below what i need, until you see that plot... I was hoping that maybe there's the possibility of eliminating the 70hz in-car null by maybe playing these down that low. I might squeak it by, if I ran them free-air, but we're well into the impedance rise by 70hz. An 8" passive radiator might be a good option.

I'm curious if yours were broken in for this test? I ask because that's a bit higher than the bench test specs, which were in the 45hz-47hz range. A stiffer suspension would push Fs up a bit. From a mass perspective, or even a coil winding perspective, I wouldn't expect much variance from driver to driver, which is why I'm wondering. You mentioned you had them moving pretty good - was that just a freshly unboxed, free-air run on power? I'd have thought even that would have loosened them up.

But also, I'm noting the test bench data was of the 8 ohm version, and a fundamental earlier unit (had a single-piece top plate) - that obviously changes the coil, and maybe there were other revisions as well.

And since the DIYSoundGroup page doesn't list the T/S specs other than Re, Le and Fs (an odd choice for specs to share) - I think I'm going to be better off using your specs than mine.

I've also got a Dayton WTS around here, so I may take my own, also, eventually.

Big thanks!
    That test was straight out of the box, there was maybe 3 minutes of play with test tones from 1-60 hz. When I say "play", I mean I was playing. These are some pretty neat little speakers. Amazingly controlled at single digit frequencies.

5. Back To Top    #45

Perfect. So they'll probably loosen up a bit, and drop that Fs and impedence curve just a bit.

I have two of them in boxes under my rig to play the midbass for now while I play around above the dash. I'm not planning on pushing them hard but I have no high pass on them, I'll get a little break in time on them, and give measurement a go too.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #46

Oops - accidental post
    Last edited by geolemon; 12-05-2020 at 08:49 PM.

7. Back To Top    #47

I just put those Anarchy's in small Stinger prefab 6x9 boxes on Sunday. They would make some really impressive subwoofers for their size, but they definitely want more than the 135 watts I can give them in my house. Still haven't measured them with REW yet, maybe tomorrow.

8. Back To Top    #48

I did get some REW measurements on these, I'll have to post them tomorrow. The measurements were of the in-box response (0.748 Qtc), at 1 inch, 1 meter, and in-car. They make great subwoofers, by the way.

9. Back To Top    #49

These are the screenshots of all my measurements. The REW 1 inch measurement is of 1 speaker at 2 volts, the 1 meter and in-car measurements are of 2 speakers at 2 volts each.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REW_Anarchy-704_AllSPL.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	15043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REW_Anarchy-704_1inchDistortion.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	15044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REW_Anarchy-704_1mDistortion.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	15045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Sound Group Anarchy-704_specs_1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	15039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Sound Group Anarchy-704_specs_2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	15040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Sound Group Anarchy-704_specs_3.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	15041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIY Sound Group Anarchy-704_graph.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	15042

10. Back To Top    #50

1/3 octave smoothing.^^
    Green is 1 inch, red is 1 meter, blue is in-car.