Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought the Civic Hatch lease out, so rebooting the install thread

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Bought the Civic Hatch lease out, so rebooting the install thread

Made a slight tweak.
    I had the right front panels shifted up slightly, during assembly there was a piece in the way - screwed it together thinking the 1/2" shift wouldn't really do anything.
    But it did cause the front edge of the top of the dash to slightly scoop up...
    I just didn't like that so I fixed it.

In other news-
    The polycarbonate showed up, so I can make the side windows. Again.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by geolemon; 12-02-2020 at 09:42 AM.

2. Back To Top    #22

Something interesting showed up today...

What is it? Another passive crossover?

Actually, nope. It's an amplifier. Check it out, then I'll tell you why:
    https://youtu.be/sB5hEe3IP70

For the overall system plan, I need DSP with 4 channels for front stage (tweets/mids), 4 more channels for midbass (because the fronts and rears both need different delay), and one channel for a sub.

But I also want 2 defeatable channels for differential rear fill.

For those who aren't familiar - differential rear fill is pure ambiance. It's to simulate rear reflections in a live environment, a live concert - sound that travels behind you, way back to whatever wall or building is behind you, and reflects back. And you only want the midrange... 400hz or 500hz up to about 2,500hz or 3,000hz.

Because it's simulating a reflection, it doesn't need to be super clean - in fact I thought it might be funny to buy a Boss or Pyramid or flea market amp, or amp from Wish... the cheesier the better.

But then I thought that would only be funny to car audio geeks. To everyone else, it might just look crappy and out of place.

So I figured I'd just pick something tiny (to fit my space restrictions), that looked funky.

3. Back To Top    #23

Speaking of that overall system plan, it's going to be...

One of these two.
    Maybe I'll edit this post after I'm locked in, one way or the other.

The RF Power series option I was attracted to initially because of the ridiculously compact amps and my curiosity on the new technology that makes high-end class D possible. I was an RF dealer ten years back, I met some of their amp engineers at CES one year - I've always held their amps I high regard, even as I've grown pretty "meh" on the rest of their stuff. It seems they are still clean, powerful, and underrated - which is another way of saying "headroom". The Power were always their highest-end, so I'm optimistic - even though I've never touched one of these tiny guys yet

The Helix option is also promising for saving space. Nearly as compact as the RF amps, and the DSP is built-in to the V Eight, so I don't need to find a spot for a separate DSP. That also makes it pretty cost competitive, since I also don't need to buy a separate 12 channel DSP. This option *might* send me needing to buy another 2 channel DSP, either for the sub or the differential fill (the V Eight only has 10 DSP channels), but I might not need it for the sub anyway.

I listed the front mids as "TBD" because that's partly what I'm building my basement rig to help determine.

I listed the rear differential fill widebands as "TBD" also, but I'm sitting on plenty of 2"-3" speakers. I'll use something I have, I'm sure, I just need to find somewhere to hide them, back in the hatch.

But then I even thought about using a pair of exciters bonded behind the huge C pillar plastic that this hatch has - again, think the rough, diffused nature of "reflections" - but we'll see.

Pics here for size reference - I'm confident both these are great compact options, for so many channels:

Last edited by geolemon; 12-01-2020 at 01:04 PM.

4. Back To Top    #24

First snowfall of the year.

This piddly amount of snow doesn't even count, but the snow is coming. It reminds me the snow tires/wheels are still in the shed. Oops. Probably should have done that swap before Xmas lights.

For the install - this is why I'm building a rig in my nice warm basement to experiment with the above-dash imaging. I have several ideas to try out that are fundamentally unconventional.

The whole reason for the rig is to mock up a reasonable acoustical equivalent of at least that above-dash region (dash/windshield/pillars/windows - possibly more) to prove/disprove things out before cutting things in the car.

And it's a lot more enjoyable - and should get me a better result - if am able to take my time in the comfort of my home.

5. Back To Top    #25

More progress to the listening rig...

1) cut and installed the polycarbonate windows. You can see I have them squeezed and blocked to make them curve like real car windows. I edited the one pic to trace the curve with my finger since it's hard to see the edge of clear glass.

2) cut and installed A-pillars. Just PVC pipe, cut on the bandsaw to the curve matching the window curve, and two layers of aluminum duct foil tape, to give them a shape and rigidity similar to actual A-pillar plastic.

The windows are curved into the right shape, but I still think I need to reinforce them a bit to make sure they are more rigidly held, since car glass is rigid.

I'm getting close, though - hopefully will mock up my first speakers by this weekend...
    ...and see how much more I need to add to this.

You can see the space I left at the base of the A pillars, to use to mount experimental speaker/enclosure there:
    It's not getting any more attractive, that's for sure!
    Last edited by geolemon; 12-03-2020 at 09:26 AM.

6. Back To Top    #26

Killin it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    SMOKE
    Vehicle
    2006 ZO6 2008 F150

subbin

Lemans Blue ZO6. Pioneer HU, Focal and Dayton drivers, JL VXi, JL XD, TW5's...and on and on...

8. Back To Top    #28

Oh yeah -
    Also, important: a key requirement for this install. Appearance.

This experiment isn't to arrive at some mad scientist kludge of speakers pointing every which way off a dashboard and pillars that are going to make my non-audiophile, very-professional peers wonder or ask questions.

This experiment IS going to arrive at an install that's relatively invisible, and not appearing extreme.

9. Back To Top    #29

I picked up a couple additional toys to add to the eligible candidates to determine over the winter... Volvo junkyard 3" domes.

These are supposed to be the same as the Dynaudio Esotec MD142 - the price was right and the sealed backs will make them easy and fun to play with.

10. Back To Top    #30

They showed up today!

A bit bigger than I was anticipating (my very adult hand for reference), but will be trying something unorthodox with them.