Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Bought the Civic Hatch lease out, so rebooting the install thread

1. Back To Top    #171

Re: Bought the Civic Hatch lease out, so rebooting the install thread

In the meantime, I picked up an engine cover that supposedly has "sound insulation" on the back (looks like Jute with a foil heat shield).

I'm still skeptical if there will be any benefit at all, but having recently had my car serviced and they temporarily screwed something up, I did notice high frequency noise (which was why I went back and they fixed it) from the top of the motor - and figured worst case it dresses up the engine bay.
    I picked up some side trim too that Type R Civic came with.
    If nothing else, it looks better.

The Civic comes with SOME under hood insulation, but I can always add to that or totally replace that down the road, also.

Really though - I think it's the firewall that I'll want to address, eventually. I don't care so much about engine noise outside the car - it's "in the cabin" that matters to me.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #172

A big step towards getting things back on track... I'm ready to do the deed and get this in.

I had a few urgent items in life:
    • * Wedding planning as that's getting close...
      * Total rebook of our honeymoon from Hawaii to Barbados after the cruise last-minute cancelled ours...
      * I picked up a new summer toy to replace the motorcycle (now for sale).

But let's get this back on track!
    Today worked out surprisingly well.

I've been hiding this rectangular, long-discontinued copper IXOS cable from everyone, as a fun surprise:

I've got a bunch of their NOS fittings as well - I bet you spotted the rectangular 1/0 fittings on my capacitor bars in the amp rack pics earlier and wondered "what the hell?"

Well, that WAS going to work perfectly here since I have two factory 8 or 4 gauge wires in this factory crimp:

The plan WAS to cut them loose, crimp an 8 gauge or 4 gauge ferrule on each, and use one of the IXOS terminals with the two sitting side by side in that rectangular opening, held securely by the two set screws.

But I didn't have any 8 gauge ferrules. And my ferrule crimper only goes to 10 gauge. Son of a...

Wait just a minute. What if... Let's grab the metal shears and:

I mean - it's already crimped securely.
    And, it's flat on the bottom and probably makes more contact area:

Hey - let's try. This isn't the system side.

The shape and size fit perfect. Like they were made for that. That's luck.

AND - more importantly - now I'm all set to run the IXOS 1/0 to the back and get this thing installed.

I have another rectangular 1/0 terminal for the other Allen bolt on the battery terminal, all ready for that IXOS power wire.

And also lucky - the negative is pretty ideally set for doing the big-3, with it's ring-friendly design.

Things are coming together - let's get this done before the wedding.

3. Back To Top    #173

So essentially I just ran out of time. You know how it goes - a few work crises, last minute cancellation of our honeymoon sent us scrambling for plan B and plan A was already paid for.
    Plus a couple autocross events on a couple weekends, and finding out August would be the last month of a private adult skateboard ramp that I'm a keyholder in "so get some runs in"...

Anyway. No regrets.
    Got married.
    Got a grade-A honeymoon in Barbados.

Attended a Minis at the Glen event at Watkins Glen where I got to rip 3 runs around the actual track (no passing since we had no safety gear) then a Mini club cruise through wine country... And I had to do some Mini car mods first.

A camping trip the next weekend... Two family picnics the next...

No complaints, that's what it's about.
    But that pushed this to the back burner for the month.

Had to post proof that it wasn't [completely] laziness.
    Now... It's back on.

4. Back To Top    #174

So I did a couple prep items today.
    One - I forgot that I sold my old Civic with the Epicenter knob still in it.
    So - a little quick research, the ACR-1 knob is compatible.
    And - I have a convenient blank panel in my current Civic.

So I took the ACR-1 apart, hollowed out a ton of plastic from the blank panel (most crazy solid blank panel I've ever seen - not anymore lol) and first drilled for the knob:

Next I pushed it in to locate the LED and drill for that. The plastic is thick, but I think the LED protrudes enough.

Screw the nut back on the shaft and get the knob back on and it's ready to go.

I didn't want to click it in fully, in part because the one tab is held a lot more rigidly with the circuit board and I didn't want to fight to pop it back out... But here's where it goes.
    You get the idea.

I like it over on this side too, because passengers won't grab it and crank it.

Also...
    The passive Xovers handling the 10k handoff duties of the Bohlender Graebner flat panels to my Focal TN-52s I'm using as supertweeters:

When I built the two passive Xover boxes, I didn't consider that one of my flat panels is on my A pillar (read: dash) and the other is on my sail panel (read: door).

So I made a modification to solder in an additional connector wired in parallel (which fortunately in the impedance i designed it at) so now there's two XT connectors for the two mids per side:

I'm really ready to get it in, I think.
    I still have to get the amp rack fans wired for power but that's not much.

I don't want to underestimate the actual install - but everything is here and ready to go.