Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockford Fostgate PCB etching

1. Back To Top    #1

Rockford Fostgate PCB etching

So as someone who isn't an engineer but likes to pretend to be one on the weekends, I typically take shit apart and put it back together to get an understanding of how things work.

I do this with almost everything, I really love to DIY and I enjoy expanding my knowledge on anything (Case in point, I am teaching myself, with the help of youtube, to sew with a machine) but one thing I really like is to see how PCB boards are organized, the chips and parts used and just overall quality. A lot can be learned by opening something up and seeing how clean the PCB is.

So, today I ripped open a DSR1 that I have had sitting on a shelf forever and took a gander. I was thinking I might use the boards and do a cool install with a custom housing... Wow, this is really nice was my first thought, then I started noticing some details, and figured I would snap a quick pic (sorry for the bad iphone pic). Really nice attention to detail in a spot that 99% of people will never see.

Maybe Justin Zazzi can explain the etching art a little better, I figured it is the initials of the lead designers and engineers??? I just though it was cool and wanted to share.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSR1 Guts 2.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	14455

A little closer inspection reveals a couple slightly obscured by the barcode on the bottom and some sort of flashlight in the top right.

Name:	DSR1 Guts.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	14456
    Last edited by Dakine_surf; 11-06-2020 at 04:04 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Rockford Fostgate PCB etching

Yes sir! The white markings are on the silkscreen layer and are usually used as hints of what part numbers are, or where to place components, and so on. I always enjoy pretending the big circular parts are apartment buildings, the connectors are rocket engines, and the circuit board is a spaceship.

Sometimes you'll find them used for artwork like this. Each of the little graphics is a signature from one of the engineers on the project. These are the people whom I share an office with here in Tempe Arizona.

Sometimes you can get really clever and make a circuit board become something else entirely, like a ruler for example.

Neat find! I always wonder if these details are noticed : )

Name:	PXL_20201106_213250897.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	14458
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    Sometimes you can get really clever and make a circuit board become something else entirely, like a ruler for example.

Neat find! I always wonder if these details are noticed : )

Name:	PXL_20201106_213250897.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	14458
    Noticed and appreciated! That ruler is straight up cool!

Thanks Justin, I figured they were the the engineers signatures. My buddies dad is an engineer at Raytheon and they did the same thing on the PCB boards of the Mars Rover... Kind of cool cause its gonna sit there up for the foreseeable future and someone/thing to eventually find.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lol those are neat.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post
    So as someone who isn't an engineer but likes to pretend to be one on the weekends, I typically take shit apart and put it back together to get an understanding of how things work. ....
    In case you're not already familiar, I think AvE is right up your alley. Very cool. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/c/arduinoversusevil2025/videos

6. Back To Top    #6
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

AvE has a circuitboard ruler too and it was the first one I thought of, but it's nsfw though haha.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    AvE has a circuitboard ruler too and it was the first one I thought of, but it's nsfw though haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJSa4reIYkU

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

So as someone who isn't an engineer but likes to pretend to be one on the weekends, I typically take shit apart and put it back together to get an understanding of how things work.

I do this with almost everything, I really love to DIY and I enjoy expanding my knowledge on anything (Case in point, I am teaching myself, with the help of youtube, to sew with a machine) but one thing I really like is to see how PCB boards are organized, the chips and parts used and just overall quality. A lot can be learned by opening something up and seeing how clean the PCB is.

So, today I ripped open a DSR1 that I have had sitting on a shelf forever and took a gander. I was thinking I might use the boards and do a cool install with a custom housing... Wow, this is really nice was my first thought, then I started noticing some details, and figured I would snap a quick pic (sorry for the bad iphone pic). Really nice attention to detail in a spot that 99% of people will never see.

Maybe Justin Zazzi can explain the etching art a little better, I figured it is the initials of the lead designers and engineers??? I just though it was cool and wanted to share.

A little closer inspection reveals a couple slightly obscured by the barcode on the bottom and some sort of flashlight in the top right.

I've spent 25 years of my life designing printed circuit boards and releasing them into production. I estimate I have over 100 million parts active out in the field. Everything from military, to consumer, to medical, and now most recently automotive electronics. I live and breath this technology. What would you like to know? You mentioned etching. Did you mean copper trace routing?

FYI: trace routing is a design decision. Etching is the process of making the PCB.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

From what I can see in your photos of this board is that some designer is under challenged and has enough time on his hands to doodle in solder mask on his circuit board designs. Justin, you may want to bring this up to your management . Just kidding.

PCB design is an art form in combination with some extremely technical topics. Sometimes it's nice just to sit back and have some fun...

Ge0

10. Back To Top    #10
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

One thing that might blow you away about this circuit board is what you CAN'T see. This board probably has 4 to 8 layers of copper trace patterns. That means there are circuit board patterns stacked in the middle of this design. This is needed to properly route power and ground to all of the little components you see on the board. It also helps link connections between components where you could not fit all those connections on a top or bottom layer. Let me dig up one of my designs and I can show you later...

Ge0