Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a question....figured I'd toss it in this wing of the forum

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: I have a question....figured I'd toss it in this wing of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post
    Yeah I'm going to be combing this forum for ideas on this install....it's for friend of mine...an opportunity to get decent/better at this. Maybe be able to attack some things in my personal build.

I also think I'm going to go with the 11 inch Stereo Integrity HSTs in my Avalon....sealed of course. So I believe I will be testing the birch theory with that enclosure. I know how the HSTs perform and I can only imagine what 2 of them would do to MDF lol.
    While I'm no fan of SMD, there is a great thread over there on cabinet materials:

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/bo...box-materials/

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post
    Green Glue....hmmm...I'll have to look into that.
    I think you can skip looking at Green Glue mate...

Firstly Green Glue is more for the building/construction type arena; not much use in car audio (that I know of anyway).

Secondly (just my two cents): it does do (to some extent) what it claims to do; I have no doubt. However it is not worth the money investment.

Not saying that I know everything; but I did research this stuff a fair bit (I also have a degree in Civil Engineering as much as that matters) because I was sound isolating a bedroom as a drum studio. Full 'room within a room' construction; cost around $6k in the end. That would have been more like $9k plus if I had used GG. Cost/benefit ratio was not even worthy of debate.

Hopefully them words don't start a shit fight because that is not my intention at all...just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    While I'm no fan of SMD
    Agreed.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I appreciate the input as always. I'm pretty much still in the planning/gathering materials stages of this thinking. I've made some pretty concrete decisions on some things and am just working on acquiring them but, as always, there are things that I'm struggling to make decisions on. I just want the install to be the best I can afford and am not trying to be so swept up in what I buy...just that I accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
    I think you can skip looking at Green Glue mate...

Firstly Green Glue is more for the building/construction type arena; not much use in car audio (that I know of anyway).

Secondly (just my two cents): it does do (to some extent) what it claims to do; I have no doubt. However it is not worth the money investment.

Not saying that I know everything; but I did research this stuff a fair bit (I also have a degree in Civil Engineering as much as that matters) because I was sound isolating a bedroom as a drum studio. Full 'room within a room' construction; cost around $6k in the end. That would have been more like $9k plus if I had used GG. Cost/benefit ratio was not even worthy of debate.

Hopefully them words don't start a shit fight because that is not my intention at all...just my opinion.

Agreed.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

4. Back To Top    #14

2" thick seems like way overkill unless you're some kind of SPL competitor. Two layers of 3/4" (37mm) would be more than adequate in fact could be called overkill as well. Me personally I would only go as far as a double layer for the baffle wall, and then depend on a few internal stiffeners for the otherwalls, and any wall that's against a floor or other surface I would only worry about decoupling it (externally) from the surface, not making it 2" thick !

But then I"m not big on massive volumes and thumping the street. But I've seen Peter@PSSounds build a lot of boxes and never seen him go thicker than 3/4" (except the baffle). Of course he also milkshakes the entire inside of his boxes everytime as well. And claims he's done a lot of experimenting with his milkshake and compares it to concrete when cured.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Yeah Peter is other level with his builds. That Austrian/German engineering in action. Overbuilt like a mofo but I respect his builds. I have been looking up on internal bracing as well but I'm just trying to make sure the box can handle how I may want to push it from time to time. I am by no means a competitor by any metric nor have I ever wanted to be but I do listen to music that goes low (and is not rebassed or decaf) and also hits with authority on lower frequencies as well so I'm trying to appeal to all sides of my tastes as best as possible. I can go from Norah Jones to Big K.R.I.T. in one listening session. Balance is my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    2" thick seems like way overkill unless you're some kind of SPL competitor. Two layers of 3/4" (37mm) would be more than adequate in fact could be called overkill as well. Me personally I would only go as far as a double layer for the baffle wall, and then depend on a few internal stiffeners for the otherwalls, and any wall that's against a floor or other surface I would only worry about decoupling it (externally) from the surface, not making it 2" thick !

But then I"m not big on massive volumes and thumping the street. But I've seen Peter@PSSounds build a lot of boxes and never seen him go thicker than 3/4" (except the baffle). Of course he also milkshakes the entire inside of his boxes everytime as well. And claims he's done a lot of experimenting with his milkshake and compares it to concrete when cured.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Eric

Yeah, the use of green glue is big in the Home Theater arena... people hang a second layer of drywall on their walls and use green glue between them to create a small air gap that reduces the transmission of resonance/sound to the rest of their house.

7. Back To Top    #17

so.... you said enclosure.

Just to confirm, are you talking subwoofer enclosure? or for a smaller speaker?

I ask because I don't see how it will do squat for a subwoofer. smaller driver? Well, maybe...

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    so.... you said enclosure.

Just to confirm, are you talking subwoofer enclosure? or for a smaller speaker?

I ask because I don't see how it will do squat for a subwoofer. smaller driver? Well, maybe...
    These were all sub enclosures