Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a question....figured I'd toss it in this wing of the forum

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

I have a question....figured I'd toss it in this wing of the forum

In SQ builds that I've been obsessing over in the last few months I've noticed that there are people with enclosures where the inside is lined with deadener....Can someone give me some insight as to why that is and also the what for? I know the chase for great reproduction is one rife with some baseball level superstitions and trickery but this one stuck out to me.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Re: I have a question....figured I'd toss it in this wing of the forum

Well I’ll start you out...are you referring to CLD tiles (like Dynamat)?
    One reason guys would use that on the sides of an enclosure is to make it more rigid (teehee). Pretty simple math/physics to understand: if the walls of the enclosure flex then that will result in lost acoustic energy and so the output of the driver/enclosure will be decreased.
    Hope that helps ��

3. Back To Top    #3

My guess is it's meant to help with cabinet panel ring/resonance?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I can see CLD being used in fiberglass enclosures to lower the resonant frequency, but not sure it would help on wooded boxes.

5. Back To Top    #5

if i have too much deadener left over i would do it too lol

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
    Well I’ll start you out...are you referring to CLD tiles (like Dynamat)?
    One reason guys would use that on the sides of an enclosure is to make it more rigid (teehee). Pretty simple math/physics to understand: if the walls of the enclosure flex then that will result in lost acoustic energy and so the output of the driver/enclosure will be decreased.
    Hope that helps ��
    That does help Cap....thanks. Also to you Al thank you...that makes sense as well. I guess most of what I've been seeing has probably been fiberglass enclosures without me taking note of that. I may go ahead and do it with this minor build I'm trying to get together for a Civic in a few weeks. I'll make sure to post it in the build log...you all will probably enjoy a good laugh.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post
    That does help Cap....thanks. Also to you Al thank you...that makes sense as well. I guess most of what I've been seeing has probably been fiberglass enclosures without me taking note of that. I may go ahead and do it with this minor build I'm trying to get together for a Civic in a few weeks. I'll make sure to post it in the build log...you all will probably enjoy a good laugh.
    No such thing as a ‘build log that is just a laugh’ mate...always can be something that you do a certain way that gives another guy a ‘light bulb moment’

Just FWIW regarding the stiffness (teehee) of subwoofer enclosure walls; there is a reputable installer in Oz that recommended (or at least he used to) using 50-55mm (~2 inches) thick Birch wood to build enclosures for reasonably powered subwoofers. It was not received very well by most people (no surprises!); but he was adamant that the flexing of the enclosure walls was significant enough that it should be accounted for a little more aggressively than the standard 18mm (3/4 inch) MDF...100% not making it up!

I also am serious that I have read/seen somewhere guy(s) using Dynamat in the manner I described...though in thinking I’m agreed with BigAl; it would make more sense in a fibreglass enclosure. Not saying I would recommend it or that it definitely works or anything ‘relevant’ like that...just saying I did see it somewhere!

Cheers

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I once saw a guy build a box out of 2 layers of baltic birch, with Green Glue in between as a decoupler. I don't remember if he saw a drastic improvement or not.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Yeah I'm going to be combing this forum for ideas on this install....it's for friend of mine...an opportunity to get decent/better at this. Maybe be able to attack some things in my personal build.

I also think I'm going to go with the 11 inch Stereo Integrity HSTs in my Avalon....sealed of course. So I believe I will be testing the birch theory with that enclosure. I know how the HSTs perform and I can only imagine what 2 of them would do to MDF lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
    No such thing as a ‘build log that is just a laugh’ mate...always can be something that you do a certain way that gives another guy a ‘light bulb moment’

Just FWIW regarding the stiffness (teehee) of subwoofer enclosure walls; there is a reputable installer in Oz that recommended (or at least he used to) using 50-55mm (~2 inches) thick Birch wood to build enclosures for reasonably powered subwoofers. It was not received very well by most people (no surprises!); but he was adamant that the flexing of the enclosure walls was significant enough that it should be accounted for a little more aggressively than the standard 18mm (3/4 inch) MDF...100% not making it up!

I also am serious that I have read/seen somewhere guy(s) using Dynamat in the manner I described...though in thinking I’m agreed with BigAl; it would make more sense in a fibreglass enclosure. Not saying I would recommend it or that it definitely works or anything ‘relevant’ like that...just saying I did see it somewhere!

Cheers

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I once saw a guy build a box out of 2 layers of baltic birch, with Green Glue in between as a decoupler. I don't remember if he saw a drastic improvement or not.

Green Glue....hmmm...I'll have to look into that.