Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what would you do from a buyers perspective?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

So what would you do from a buyers perspective?

I promised JimmyDee I would not post anymore on this topic over on another car audio forum since the seller threatened to sue for defamation.

Long story short. I bought an item that was listed in "perfect" condition about a month ago. The seller provided photos of the item. Everything looked OK. I asked a few very specific questions about the item. The seller responded properly. So, I pulled the trigger and purchased it via Paypal.

The day after I received the item I decided to open the box and test it. It didn't work. Hmm. After closer inspection is was evident that the item had been tampered with. A botched attempt was made to repair it. It was obvious the seller lied when I asked my questions prior to sale.

So, I contacted the seller. The seller was defensive and pissed off. He/She claimed that I must have damaged the item or, it was damaged in shipment. I reminded the seller that I didn't think soldering iron melt marks could occur as damage during shipment.

I mentioned that I might be able to fix it for a reduced purchase price but I would need to consider it. I would need to take a closer look. In the end, I determined the damage was too severe and this is something I did not want to deal with. I requested a full refund.

The seller sends me half the refund. I reminded him/her that I did not want the item and did not trust it would continue to function. I requested a full refund, not half. I contact Paypal for advice. They mentioned that I should try to work with the seller to resolve the issue. If we can't come to an agreement then I had the option to use their resolution center to file a dispute.

A week goes by. No additional refund. So, I contact the seller again. I requested the seller send a full refund immediately or I will be forced to open a case with Paypal. The next day the seller sends the other half of my refund. But, it is stuck as PENDING. The seller demands that I ship the item back immediately. I printed a shipping label and re-packaged the item. However, I told the seller I will not actually send the item until his/her payment clears.

The seller threatens to sue. He/she says he/she has the police, FBI, and Paypal on the case. He/she has hired an attorney to sue me over theft and slander. I'm like, are you off your freaking rocker dude? All this over $78. All he/she needed to do was wait a couple days for payment to clear assuming they had $78 in their account.

The seller continues to send me a sea of texts telling me how awful of a person I was and that I was stealing from him/her. I kept sending time stamped evidence that his/her payment had still not cleared.

10 days go by and the payment finally clears. I ship his item the next business day. The seller SIGNS for and receives the package.

The seller sends me a text stating that I waited to long and that he/she was going to prosecute. The seller stating that I stole the item from him/her and that he/she is going to send the item back to me. He/She then actually goes through the expense of shipping the item back. Fedex just dropped the package off on my front porch.

I'm looking for advice. Fugged up eh? So what he h3ll would you do now?

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: So what would you do from a buyers perspective?

Take as many pictures as possible and document everything you can.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Take as many pictures as possible and document everything you can.
    Thanks for the advice. Already done.

Ge0

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Does anyone know how to capture a text stream into a computer file that can be printed?

Ge0

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Good question. I know you can save screen shots and use them, but that could be quite a few depending on the conversation length.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Good question. I know you can save screen shots and use them, but that could be quite a few depending on the conversation length.
    A few hundred messages...

Ge0

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

First of all, no law enforcement agency is going to give two squirts of monkey piss about and online transition for under $100, even if they were married to the supposed victim. Secondly, He can't prosecute you for theft since there's proof you paid in good faith...I doubt it would even be heard in small claims court. You've already contacted PayPal, so there's already a note associated with the transaction.

I've dealt with several people with disorders who think they can do no wrong...they are always the victim of some wrongdoing. Don't sweat this bullshit, call PayPal again and explain the rest of the situation. Tell them the idiot mailed it back to you and see what they say.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    First of all, no law enforcement agency is going to give two squirts of monkey piss about and online transition for under $100, even if they were married to the supposed victim. Secondly, He can't prosecute you for theft since there's proof you paid in good faith...I doubt it would even be heard in small claims court. You've already contacted PayPal, so there's already a note associated with the transaction.

I've dealt with several people with disorders who think they can do no wrong...they are always the victim of some wrongdoing. Don't sweat this bullshit, call PayPal again and explain the rest of the situation. Tell them the idiot mailed it back to you and see what they say.
    Good point Al. I'll give Paypal a call. Again...

Ge0

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post

Well, as far as Paypal is concerned my bases are covered. They found it strange that the seller refunded me AND sent the broken item back to me. But, in their words "stranger things have happened".

I am also going to assume that from a legal perspective I am covered. The seller refunded me. I sent the item back. There is documented evidence that the seller received the item back.

The only strange twist is that there is also documented evidence that the seller then shipped the item back to me again. May I assume he gifted me the broken item?

Ge0
    Last edited by Ge0; 10-28-2020 at 03:25 PM.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Shipping it back doesn't matter as long as you have proof that you sent it to them. I would hold onto the item and make sure you have all of your receipts for a little bit.

You might even think of sending a final message to the seller stating that you will hold the item for x amount of time (Like 14 business days or something) for them to have someone pick up the item to return it to them if they want it. After that time it will be disposed of properly.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods