Thread: Blown speaker?

1. Back To Top    #1

Blown speaker?

Hi guys,
    brand new speaker sounds not right with some music. looks like mids problems.
    I would appreciate your listening to the recording and letting me know your thoughts, is the speaker blown or something loose ?
    The speaker is in the rear driver side door.
    Thanks!

New Recording.zip

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Re: Blown speaker?

Hard to tell. Seems like it could be damaged or something could be loose.
    What does everyone else hear?

You could try playing one speaker at a time and try to isolate it.
    You could also try a sine wave generator and slowly sweep up and down in frequency until you found the problematic tone. If you do this at low or mid volumes it might tell you more things.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like something's vibrating. Maybe tinsel slap and/or excessive excursion? Using bass boost? What is the HP setting, if any? Speaker make and model? Subwoofer LP setting?

I echo Justin's suggestions to help track down and isolate the issue.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Sounds like something's vibrating. Maybe tinsel slap and/or excessive excursion? Using bass boost? What is the HP setting, if any? Speaker make and model? Subwoofer LP setting?

I echo Justin's suggestions to help track down and isolate the issue.
    Stock non-bose regular speakers, brand new car. Bass boost in place, only certain frequencies cause this buzz, only from single speaker. All setting were put to default in the middle range. No subwoofer in the car.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kroko2020 View Post
    Stock non-bose regular speakers, brand new car. Bass boost in place, only certain frequencies cause this buzz, only from single speaker. All setting were put to default in the middle range. No subwoofer in the car.
    Why not take it to the dealer and let them have a look? Is this not a warranty issue?

6. Back To Top    #6

From my personal experience, it's hard to tell exactly the problems. Last month, I bought a new BOSS speaker, after installing, the sounds was not good and I heard some unwanted noises. Then, I had researched and found out that the wire/ cable was loosen in one site about auto. This page is quite useful because it lists most common problems and solutions to follow.
    Hope this page meet your need.
    https://gmundcars.com/car-audio-troubleshooting-guide/