Thread: Any way to power a Fiio while using Helix USB HEC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any way to power a Fiio while using Helix USB HEC?

I'm using a Fiio M3 Pro's USB output into a Helix DSP.3 with the USB HEC card. I like the sound quality improvement over the Fiio's analog output, however the HEC card can't supply power over the USB connection. To make matters worse, the USB output seems to munch battery life faster than the analog out.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, does anyone know of a way to simultaneously power a Fiio while using it with the USB HEC card?
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Any way to power a Fiio while using Helix USB HEC?

Could you use a USB-C splitter, with one cable going to the Helix, and the other going to USB charger?

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe, the problem seems like most of those splitter cables don't have a power pass-through. I wonder if something like this would work?
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-in-1/12323529
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

"You can share your USB flash drive content while charging the phone"

Sounds like a winner to me, and the price is decent in case it doesn't work for your application

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by goatpanda View Post
    I'm using a Fiio M3 Pro's USB output into a Helix DSP.3 with the USB HEC card. I like the sound quality improvement over the Fiio's analog output, however the HEC card can't supply power over the USB connection. To make matters worse, the USB output seems to munch battery life faster than the analog out.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, does anyone know of a way to simultaneously power a Fiio while using it with the USB HEC card?
    I did a diy version of this a few years back, where I took the usb cable apart, pulled the power and ground wires out and ran them to a 5v source.

Last edited by DavidRam; 10-25-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I was thinking about chopping up a USB to make DIY power injector like DavidRAM mentioned, I just wasn't completely sure if that would work or not. I've purchased that splitter anyway since it was dirt-cheap on sale. Even if it doesn't work out it may come in handy for other things.