Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose wheels

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Help me choose wheels

Thanks for that, Mr Guinea Pig . That looks great! Does it have a lift, or just a leveling kit?

How do the Ridge Grapplers compare as far as road noise? I had Terra Grapplers on my Honda years ago...and while they looked great, they were loud.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

I'm going to be the odd duck on this one. I say gunmetal, but I'm one of those that think the black wheel thing is so overdone.

I can't stand black wheels on the vast majority of vehicles and don't understand the draw. There isn't much or any contrast. Most of the time it just looks like black blobs under the vehicle. I've seen some that look better when they are a little dirty. Just look at internet pics. Without special lighting, you can't even see the wheel. Much less even tell what the design is.

On vehicles that look good with dark wheels, I think argent, gunmetal, etc... even dark bronze look so much better. You can actually see the wheel design when more than 10 feet away and just overall looks better.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Either the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, or BF Goodrich All Terrain Ta Ko2
    Nitto RGs for sure! They're a great A/T tire, quiet, really nice looking and Made In USA! I did not hear any road noise difference from the factory tires, to the RGs...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200624-120850183-HDR.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	14293  
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

4. Back To Top    #14

Oh, and make sure you get the right side of the tire mounted to the outside... There are two different designs.

The best side, imo:

The other side:
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 crew cab Duramax

Thanks for that, Mr Guinea Pig . That looks great! Does it have a lift, or just a leveling kit?

How do the Ridge Grapplers compare as far as road noise? I had Terra Grapplers on my Honda years ago...and while they looked great, they were loud.
    Thanks, it is just leveled with 295-70-18’s. They have been really quiet so far, maybe getting a little noisier at about 50% tread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BE82E32-7DA0-4F6A-8682-1594D58E143A.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	14294  

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I'm going to be the odd duck on this one. I say gunmetal, but I'm one of those that think the black wheel thing is so overdone.

I can't stand black wheels on the vast majority of vehicles and don't understand the draw. There isn't much or any contrast. Most of the time it just looks like black blobs under the vehicle. I've seen some that look better when they are a little dirty. Just look at internet pics. Without special lighting, you can't even see the wheel. Much less even tell what the design is.

On vehicles that look good with dark wheels, I think argent, gunmetal, etc... even dark bronze look so much better. You can actually see the wheel design when more than 10 feet away and just overall looks better.
    To my eye, the greater the disparity between wheel diameter and tire diameter, the better black wheels tend to look. Comparatively tiny wheels surrounded by enormous tires look goofy to me. Black wheels go a long way toward negating this effect.

It's a matter of proportion. Just as comparatively large wheel + tire combinations, to a limited degree, tend to look better than smaller ones; larger wheels, to a limited degree, tend to look better than smaller ones within a given tire size ...and black wheels tend to visually negate any wide disparity.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    To my eye, the greater the disparity between wheel diameter and tire diameter, the better black wheels tend to look. Comparatively tiny wheels surrounded by enormous tires look goofy to me. Black wheels go a long way toward negating this effect.

It's a matter of proportion. Just as comparatively large wheel + tire combinations, to a limited degree, tend to look better than smaller ones; larger wheels, to a limited degree, tend to look better than smaller ones within a given tire size ...and black wheels tend to visually negate any wide disparity.
    It depends on the vehicle. Street trucks look better with larger wheels and lower profile tires, but those same wheels on a 4x4 just look idiotic.

8. Back To Top    #18

It depends on the vehicle. Street trucks look better with larger wheels and lower profile tires, but those same wheels on a 4x4 just look idiotic.
    Absolutely!

9. Back To Top    #19

What do you mean?

#TRUMP2020

10. Back To Top    #20

While utterly ludicrous, ^that^ actually doesn't look too bad. LOL

Now, ^this^ is absolutely ridiculous. LOL
    Last edited by Grinder; 10-25-2020 at 01:31 PM.