Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tweeters or spend more time tuning?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: New tweeters or spend more time tuning?

Mkay, I just got my USB hub so I should be able to get some stuff tomorrow.

Anyone have a source to a track that I should play? Or will the pink noise uncorrelated I used for tuning work?
    2014 Honda Accord LX
    JL Audio C2-650, Pioneer 12" Shallow Sub
    MMATS HiFi 6150, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D, Helix DSP Pro MK1

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Correlated pink noise, preferably periodic set to same settings as rta window.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Correlated pink noise, preferably periodic set to same settings as rta window.
    Sorry, got some dumb questions.

1) I can only find an uncorrelated pink noise track. Is that alright?

2) Am I doing the measurements for each speaker or the system as a whole?

Here's 3 measurements with all speakers on:
    Last edited by SlvrDragon50; 10-21-2020 at 06:00 PM.
    2014 Honda Accord LX

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Sorry, got some dumb questions.

1) I can only find an uncorrelated pink noise track. Is that alright?

2) Am I doing the measurements for each speaker or the system as a whole?

Here's 3 measurements with all speakers on:
    1) It works for individual speakers, but not for pairs. Correlated for pairs. Otherwise you will never be able to hear a center image. Here is 10 minutes of Periodic Pink Noise https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5w...ew?usp=sharing

2) Individual and pairs would be best.

3) I already see you are dropping about 25db from your low frequencies to your highs, that is quite a bit and would be a big issue that is easily fixed. You need to turn up the volume on the tweeters and mids and/or reduce the bass volume. A lot of the areas that you low in, also correspond to cuts in your EQ.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    1) It works for individual speakers, but not for pairs. Correlated for pairs. Otherwise you will never be able to hear a center image. Here is 10 minutes of Periodic Pink Noise https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5w...ew?usp=sharing

2) Individual and pairs would be best.

3) I already see you are dropping about 25db from your low frequencies to your highs, that is quite a bit and would be a big issue that is easily fixed. You need to turn up the volume on the tweeters and mids and/or reduce the bass volume. A lot of the areas that you low in, also correspond to cuts in your EQ.
    Got it, thanks. I'll turn up the tweets and redo the measurements. I think the reason for the difference in volume is because the highs were bothering me when I had them at the same volume as the rest of the system. I actually just turned down tweeters even more yesterday evening.
    2014 Honda Accord LX

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Right now you seem to be at a whitledge curve, which is a curve quite a few don't like. Even then you have some big wide bumps and dips which is going to cause an unbalance in the sound.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.03.42.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	14225

Try a half whitledge

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.03.31.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	14226

Or Justin's (I did this in my wife's SUV and actually really liked the results)

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.02.47.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	14227

Or JBL/Andy which a lot like: I personally do this with the dip Justin's curve has above in the 2-4khz region.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.03.11.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	14228

7. Back To Top    #17

Thanks!

I see the graphs say "to be exported" Should I be like creating these curves for use with Helix's RTA or do I just tweak my EQs to recreate the curves?
    2014 Honda Accord LX

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Thanks!

I see the graphs say "to be exported" Should I be like creating these curves for use with Helix's RTA or do I just tweak my EQs to recreate the curves?
    I would suggest downloading REW and using it to record the RTA of the system. You can have the curve in the background and see how close you are to matching it. It is better than the helix software unless you are using the AUTO eq, then adjust the auto eq curves appropriately. You can set a curve on the helix EQ screen (you can see it lightly in the background on your picture) but it isn't the easiest thing to do.

Also, those curves were created using Justin's spreadsheet (stickied in the tuning section I believe)

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

10. Back To Top    #20

I am indeed using the auto EQ w/ Helix.

I was having weird issues with gain on when using REW. For some reason REW wasn't detecting audio levels well compared to Helix, but I'll give it another shot. The JBL/Andy curve looks quite nice.
    2014 Honda Accord LX