Thread: Seat belt retractor buzz/rattles

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Ben
    Vehicle
    2015 Ford Escape TI with sony

Seat belt retractor buzz/rattles

Hi guys,

A quick search didn't lead me to much for other user's struggles with this.

I'm in the midst of a (slow ass) install on my new ford escape and have noticed while driving around with the rear panels removed that the seat belt retractors rattle like a mofo . Know I've heard them before too, but not as bad.. so there is some muffling once the panels are back on, thank god..

Know i've run into this in the past with other cars and i typically carefully bulked them up with cld and what ever else i could do to block the sound.

Guessing that's the best answer... cld and as much mlv and decoupler as i can comfortably fit around them.... I'd prefer to modify the devices themselves, but I'm sure that's probably a dead-end road.

Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Seat belt retractor buzz/rattles

Can you open them up or see inside (I Know mine are in a covered enclosure) to figure out what is rattling about them? If so I would address that part if you can, otherwise your plan sounds about the best.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Ben
    Vehicle
    2015 Ford Escape TI with sony

Re: Seat belt retractor buzz/rattles

They are semi-exposed and could be put under surgery . I'm hesitant though.

It sounds like it is likely the spring mechanisms rattling against the plastic case. It's the fairly usual buzzing noise that you get from the retractor if you give it a whack..

Yeah, dunno. Figure someone smarter than me had really dug into this at some point. It's a pretty typical rattle from these damn things.