Thread: Dayton Audio ND105-4 as sub / midbass

1. Back To Top    #1

Dayton Audio ND105-4 as sub / midbass

Picked up a pair of these cheap.

How best to run these as a sub / midbass up to 160Hz or so - sealed, ported or with passive radiator?

Any tips would be great.

Or can I just put them in the doors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Dayton Audio ND105-4 as sub / midbass

I had the 5-1/4 version of those running midbass duty in my truck years ago and they sounded great for the money. They have an aluminum cone which is great for detail but cone breakup at higher frequencies can create listening fatigue. being that these have a smaller cone though they might be ok in a two way crossed low to a larger format tweeter or smaller full range driver.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I am sure you aren't, but don't plan on crazy amounts of output for sub frequencies. These have an FS of roughly 80hz and an xmax of 4mm (not sure if that is one way or peak to peak) so won't play much below that and doesn't have much movement which is really the important thing for lower frequencies, especially with limited cone size.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    I am sure you aren't, but don't plan on crazy amounts of output for sub frequencies. These have an FS of roughly 80hz and an xmax of 4mm (not sure if that is one way or peak to peak) so won't play much below that and doesn't have much movement which is really the important thing for lower frequencies, especially with limited cone size.
    Indeed

Was thinking about running a PR as well to give more low end

5. Back To Top    #5
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

I made a small bookshelf 2way speaker for my computer with these. They are wonderful but don't get too loud before they run out of excursion. I think you would be disappointed trying to use them as midbass in a car, and very disappointed trying to use them as a subwoofer.

They are fantastic for smaller projects with less power than we usually to in cars.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    I made a small bookshelf 2way speaker for my computer with these. They are wonderful but don't get too loud before they run out of excursion. I think you would be disappointed trying to use them as midbass in a car, and very disappointed trying to use them as a subwoofer.

They are fantastic for smaller projects with less power than we usually to in cars.
    Would using PRs help improve the output?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiW80 View Post
    Would using PRs help improve the output?

Some.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.