Thread: Whats the highest frequency for non-directional sound?

1. Back To Top    #1

Whats the highest frequency for non-directional sound?

Thinking of running an up front sub from some 6” or 8” drivers and playing as a sub and midbass.

What is the highest I can run them without them becoming directional and you can hear where they are located?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Whats the highest frequency for non-directional sound?

6" would be fine up to about 600hz. 8" would be fine up to about 400hz to stay within the green. To figure this out you can just use the formula of Frequency = Speed / wavelength (or 4*diameter in feet).

Frequency = 1125 Ft/s / (4* 8"/12")
    Frequency = 1125 ft/s / (2.67 ft)
    Frequency = 421hz

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 09.58.49.png
Views: 436
Size:  339.8 KB
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 10-12-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Are you asking what frequency you would start to be able to point to them if you had your eyes closed?
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

Correct Justin.

Basically I want to mount them in the passenger footwell but not cause imaging issues.

Could I also run them mono in this frequency range?

5. Back To Top    #5

I run my midbass upto 165, I would say around that is roughly where they become left/right identifiable, however if you do a very good phase/time setting you will lose midbass upto 4-500 if they are placed left and right in good, solid, well damped locations

i know Tonny Evers plays his mono dash midbass upto 160ish... but as far as locatable, I’d say a fair bit higher as above

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    I run my midbass upto 165, I would say around that is roughly where they become left/right identifiable, however if you do a very good phase/time setting you will lose midbass upto 4-500 if they are placed left and right in good, solid, well damped locations

i know Tonny Evers plays his mono dash midbass upto 160ish... but as far as locatable, I’d say a fair bit higher as above
    Cheers