Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: subs sound quieter?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: subs sound quieter?

I still don't get how the Alpines are “super loud at low volume,” and then "quieter" than the Kenwoods at high levels. It's as though the Alpines have higher sensitivity and lower power handling, while the Alpines actually have more than twice the power handling and likely lower sensitivity than the Kenwoods.
    Last edited by Grinder; 10-09-2020 at 08:18 AM.

2. Back To Top    #12

Maybe the Alpines just aren't broken in yet.

3. Back To Top    #13

How confident are you in the power wiring? Any chance you could have a bad ground or undersized cabling?

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

That amp only puts out 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms which isn’t even enough for one Alpine type S, but was enough for the Kenwood subwoofers. By turning up the gain you get the required power at lower volumes but then the amplifier is clipping at higher volumes so that may explain your situation. You need a stronger amplifier for those Alpine type S or about 1200 watts RMS to get their full potential.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    That amp only puts out 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms which isn’t even enough for one Alpine type S, but was enough for the Kenwood subwoofers. By turning up the gain you get the required power at lower volumes but then the amplifier is clipping at higher volumes so that may explain your situation. You need a stronger amplifier for those Alpine type S or about 1200 watts RMS to get their full potential.
    Makes perfect sense. I assumed it puts out 1,000 watts - based the "1000.1" and on OP having ditched the 250 watt Kenwoods for a "louder" pair of 500 watt Alpines. LOL

6. Back To Top    #16

I have 4 awg wiring for my power and ground and its grounded super tight, I had to pull a support out under the seat to fit the box and there was a bolt right into the chasis no longer being used I used that to ground it. I know it is different for car wiring but I'm a trained electrician so I understand wiring. the amp runs extremely cool i can run it full volume for an hour and it will barely feel warm.

The amp is an old school ( early 2000's) punch 1000.1 mono. At 4 ohms it will put out 500 watts rms, at 2 ohms it will put out 1000 watts rms which is a pretty good match up for a pair of type S's wired to 2 ohms i would say.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #17

I tested the voltage at the amp at full volume with the truck at idle it held perfectly at atleast 14.5 volts even on very heavy bass hits i would consider that fine. I checked my resistance again at the amp and its at 2 ohms. I swapped positive and negatives around they are definitely in phase. I swapped the rca's around and Nothing changed. Its all right.

I messed with the tuning a little more on the amp I pretty much set the gain all the way up and turned off the subsonic filter, those are the only 2 settings the amp has. Anyway it sounds pretty damn good right now they are much cleaner and deeper then the kenwoods and really loud. I do think the box size effects the sound would anyone recommend polyfill?

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
    I tested the voltage at the amp at full volume with the truck at idle it held perfectly at atleast 14.5 volts even on very heavy bass hits i would consider that fine. I checked my resistance again at the amp and its at 2 ohms. I swapped positive and negatives around they are definitely in phase. I swapped the rca's around and Nothing changed. Its all right.

I messed with the tuning a little more on the amp I pretty much set the gain all the way up and turned off the subsonic filter, those are the only 2 settings the amp has. Anyway it sounds pretty damn good right now they are much cleaner and deeper then the kenwoods and really loud. I do think the box size effects the sound would anyone recommend polyfill?

Based on the recommended 0.85 ft^3, and the 0.65 ft^3 of your cabinets, some polyfill should help.

Here's a helpful link: https://www.glasswolf.net/papers/polyfill.html

9. Back To Top    #19

the only thing about polyfill is it seems to me like some say its a waste of time and some swear it makes a difference in my situation

10. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by arena314 View Post
    the only thing about polyfill is it seems to me like some say its a waste of time and some swear it makes a difference in my situation

If the link I provided didn't help, I don't know what to tell you.