Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: subs sound quieter?

1. Back To Top    #1

subs sound quieter?

hey guys, I have a 97 f150 I put a system in like 2 months ago. its been probably 5 years since I've been into it. Originally I did new kicker 6×8's wired into my head unit All around, 2 kenwood tweeters on an old junky 300 watt pyramid amp I had laying around that works fine, 2 kenwood 12's in a sealed box under the seat and an old school rockford punch 1000.1 mono amp.

The issue im having is i decided i wanted louder subs so I ditched the svc 250 watt rms Kenwoods for some 2ohm alpine type S's. I wired them in series parallel for a final impedence of 2 ohms ( checked to be sure ). For some odd reason these subs sound quieter then my kenwoods did? I kept the gain how it was and even turned it up and the subs sound super loud at low volume then when I turn it up to levels I always turned it up to it sounds quieter then the other subs and even a little distorted if anything. I have my 2 amps separately wired and grounded. the only thing they share is the remote and rcas I went to my rockford amp first then came out and hit the pyramid. what could be causing something like this? I feel it may be voltage drop during heavy bass hits

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: subs sound quieter?

I would double check to make sure they’re in phase. Check each sub individually with a 9v battery and make sure they’re moving the same direction. I’ve seen speakers labeled incorrectly right out of the box so just because “they’re wired correctly” doesn’t mean they’re correctly in phase.

3. Back To Top    #3

I also had a feeling that was a possibility as well. I know I didn't mix up any of my wires but certainly worth a try. thanks

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

What size enclosure are they in? Is it possible that the box size was optimized for the Kenwoods and it’s maybe too small for the new ones?

5. Back To Top    #5

.65 feet per sub is what I'm seeing for this box online..

6. Back To Top    #6

I looked up the recommended box size for the type s's and its .85 cu ft. The kenwoods i just pulled out have a recommended box size of 1.27 cu ft. The kenwoods want an even bigger box so that probably isn't the issue. were talking sealed box btw

7. Back To Top    #7

By “super loud at low volume,” do you mean that the Alpines are louder at low volume than the Kenwoods were at similar volume, and then quieter than the Kenwoods at high levels?

Could there be cabinet leakage? For example, is it possible that one or both of the Alpines are not as well sealed to the cabinet as the Kenwoods? Perhaps one or more of the screw holes have become compromised and are no longer allowing the screw(s) to be tightened enough to achieve an adequate seal.

Was the combined final impedance of the Kenwoods also 2 ohms? If it was 4 ohms, you might try running just one of the Alpines at 4 ohms and see what happens …assuming the .65 ft^3 per sub means there are separate air spaces for each sub. If it’s a shared air space, it might still be worth a careful try to see what happens, and possibly rule out something weird going on with the amp at 2 ohms.

I’m far from an expert. These are just a few thoughts that come to mind.

8. Back To Top    #8

the final impedance was 2 ohms as well they were svc wired in parallel. My punch amp is a 1 channel. I only ever screwed the Kenwoods into this box once and these went in all the screws impacted tight. The box is .65 cu ft per sub woofer

9. Back To Top    #9

Hmmmm... I'm at a loss...

10. Back To Top    #10

Maybe the Kenwoods were more efficient? A more efficient driver, fed the same power, will yield more output than a less efficient driver.