Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Crossover Frequency

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe Crossover Frequency

Hi Guys,

I've got a pair of German Maestro MS6508 and just wondering if it's safe to run them down at 2000hz 24db. I've found a bit of conflicting info for them and not sure what to make of it.

In those pictures it says the crossover frequency is at 2000hz although the recommended min frequency of the tweeter there says 2000. Then a third outlier pic saying they're high passed at 3.3k.

Cheers

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Safe Crossover Frequency

My understanding is 2x fs is safe. If it were me, would start at 2500Hz.

3. Back To Top    #3

2x fs is safe, i usually do 2.5-3x fs if they sound rough at higher volumes (for midranges and tweeters).

some recommend fs/qts for minimal usable frequencies. however, the qts isn't available for these tweeters. with the mids though, it'd be 71hz.

4. Back To Top    #4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qts.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	14059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweeter.png 
Views:	377 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	14060

Thanks for the replies. Found the QTS here, also found another datasheet says that minimum is 1600hz on the tweeter? Getting alot of conflicting info.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ask the manufacturer to clarify their recommendation, but it seems like 2500hz even if the 1100hz fs is correct.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

DC resistance is '6th'...that's different...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	119019832_3455184324546250_8785071653383340648_n.png 
Views:	405 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	14074

Go to the manufacturer website only for information, I doubt all these came from germanmaestro dot com
    However 2-3 x Fs is a good SAFE place to be; especially with expensive gear you don't want to explode. That puts you at about 3kHz plus...

Why do you want the tweeters to play so low?

7. Back To Top    #7

That picture was out of a manual i found online. Have emailed them for clarification though. Looking to play them lower as my mids roll off pretty hard when running higher.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

The 3300Hz is recommended starting point with the matching woofers.
    We can't tell you what is "safe", too many variables (power and volume discipline on top of unknown driver)
    However, this chart would lead me toward trying 2k if needed

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

That final sentence of 'x-over points below 1,600 Hz the tweeters applied SPL power-load has to be lowered in an appropriate manner' both makes me think that you could be defeating the point of what you are trying to achieve if you have to lower the power, but also exactly how much power would you remove in each specific case...? I am aware that it states 1.6 kHz; but I would think that the same principle would apply?

So many unknowns around a piece of equipment that you really don't want to screw up (and can easily be screwed up)...I just wouldn't do it mate. Just IMHO man...if you want to then have at it

10. Back To Top    #10
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Looks like the first picture is recommending the filters to use if you have an active dsp,
    and looks like the last picture is what the factory passive crossovers acoustic crossover is (not the electrical crossover performance)
    and looks like the chart with the MT40 tweeter is a warning about 1,600hz being the absolute limit and a warning about power handling or distortion.

But yeah, I'm with you. Ask the manufacturer because this is a little tricky to read!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.