Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on full format tweeters ?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Eric

Re: Opinions on full format tweeters ?

I'll echo what others have said about the positives of a full format tweeter... to date, the best combo I've heard has been Dynaudio Esotar 110 tweeters paired with 430 mids. Hard to describe, but was taken with the way they opened up the top end when necessary and 'got the hell out of the way' when not necessary...

2. Back To Top    #12

Well I spent some time mocking up a full format and I just can't do it - way too obtrusive. Come to think of it I've never seen a full format tweeter integrated well in a car. "Porsche" on diyma had some pictures of one of his many Porsches where the Esotar 110's looked somewhat tasteful in the pillar, but only because they were 90 degrees off axis and cross firing. I think that is too big of a compromise.

I was comparing a 4" diameter disc to the small format scan speaks which was plan A, but I've decided to go with the new Bliesma T25B-6. A few years ago I never thought I would pay that much for tweeters, heck I was trying to run tweeterless for awhile but as stated above I know think a lot of the "magic" is coming from the tweeters. So we'll see - now to decide between sail panels and pillars. I love the stealth of the sails, but keep putting them back on the pillars because I like what it does to the stage height (and keeps them a little closer to the mids).

3. Back To Top    #13

checked out the sb acoustics sb29rdnc ? it's larger than a small format tweeter.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

That's what I use ^^^ haven't found much better for the price. You can snag some Image Dynamics XS28 off eBay and Amazon for $89.99, they are an extremely nice tweeter as well. After that though, might want to consider the jump up to Morel.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

5. Back To Top    #15

I think it's mainly a function of motor structure. Lots of home audio tweets use Ferrite magnets, and they also don't need to be small. So more or less a standard mounting flange was adopted.

Car audio tweets are nearly exclusively neodymium, to shrink the diameter of the motor structure down to the absolute minimum needed for a 1" dome and even the suspension is usually narrower - certainly narrower than those Sartori's you linked. Car audio tweets usually come paired to component sets, so they can limit them specifically to 4K or even 5K and up, which also reduces excursion needs. And as I'm sure you know - car tweeter mounting... there's nothing "Standard" or simple about any of them. Might be a flange you first screw down, then snap, twist, or clip the tweeter into... it's all in the name of making that whole assembly as compact as possible.

You just don't have those design goals in home audio.

And also - there's a slight sonic disadvantage to having a tweeter that isn't coincident with it's mounting surface. Edge effects can mess with your frequency response - you can even get those if you just screw down rather than flush-mount a home audio tweeter. I think that's a bit disregarded in car audio, because there's so many other curves, bends, reflections, absorption, and other acoustical nightmares going on in a car environment, that the thought is "Who cares? It's a car!".

So I think the fundamental need to keep tweeters tiny CAN impart limitations on the more functional aspects of how a tweeter can be engineered to perform - but there's also some absolutely fantastic car tweeters out there. Engineers can engineer.
    If you need your tweeter to play lower though, or just want a broader selection - why not consider a home audio tweet? Lots of car audio tweets are 8 ohm too, intentionally as just one way to balance/match tweeters to mids - you don't need as much power to a tweeter.

TL;DR -
    When you have a big plate behind which you can hide a larger motor structure, you have fewer size-based engineering constraints. But even within size constraints of small car audio tweeters, there's some great ones - and some bad home audio tweets. Can't say one is inherently better than the other.

That's just my thoughts out loud.