Thread: Hu replacement in 2019 ford f-350 platinum

1. Back To Top    #1

Hu replacement in 2019 ford f-350 platinum

I have been researching a ton if i can replace the HU in my new Ford F-350 platinum with B&O...its really just a rebadged Sony. When I look on idatalink’s MAestro site it shows it can be replaced, I think. Any installers out there know the true answer? Also any suggestions on shops in SoCal area for install would be great. Located in Oceanside.

If the HU cant be replaced, what DSP would be most beneficial to get good sound out of my equipment. Budget for DSP is around 1,100 or so.

JL AUDIO HD 600/4
    JL AUDIO 750/1
    JL AUDIO C5 2 way components
    JL AUDIO (2) 10” TW3

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Hu replacement in 2019 ford f-350 platinum

Why do you want to replace it? It does quite a bit fairly well including a completely flat signal capability.

What you would need would be a nav-tv to intercept the signal.

This doesn't list the 2019 (although as far as I know the 2019 f350 audio system is identical to the f150...but I could be wrong) but it should work. Might be worth a call to them.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT88...sp12a-a2b.html

As far as DSP, for $1100, you have quite a few options in that price range depending on what you want. Helix dsp.3 or pro mkii or minidsp 8x12 with DL would be my go to DSPs. If you haven't bought your amps yet, you could even go with nice integrated unit from Helix or JL vxi series.

This also comes down to, who is doing the install and who is going to tune? If you are not tuning, then whatever the install place feels comfortable with. There are quite a few good installers/tuners in California, not sure about your area but I am sure someone will chime in with who is in your area.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 09-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Why do you want to replace it? It does quite a bit fairly well including a completely flat signal capability.

What you would need would be a nav-tv to intercept the signal.

This doesn't list the 2019 (although as far as I know the 2019 f350 audio system is identical to the f150...but I could be wrong) but it should work. Might be worth a call to them.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT88...sp12a-a2b.html

As far as DSP, for $1100, you have quite a few options in that price range depending on what you want. Helix dsp.3 or pro mkii or minidsp 8x12 with DL would be my go to DSPs. If you haven't bought your amps yet, you could even go with nice integrated unit from Helix or JL vxi series.

This also comes down to, who is doing the install and who is going to tune? If you are not tuning, then whatever the install place feels comfortable with. There are quite a few good installers/tuners in California, not sure about your area but I am sure someone will chime in with who is in your area.
    I was always told if you can replace your HU that you should. Only reason I would replace it. I own all the equipment I listed as it came out of my explorer. My wife has the nav tv piece in her F150 and we are on our second unit, as this NAV TV has been nothing but issues for us. In my 17 F-250 I has the DSR1 with the vehicle specific harness and had no issues with that unit. However I have read a lot of negative feed back on it from other sources. The B&O in the 19 Super Duty’s I am told is a rebadged sony system and is not the same as the F150’s. I do not know if this is true or not, but I know my wife’s adaptive cruise control is different than my Super Duty’s so there could be truth to that.

As far as installers go, I do want a really good installer this time around as this is an 80K truck and want it to sound much better than it does. So many stores around me but picking the right one is tough when I am new to the area.

Thanks for your input on the DSP...not sure the difference in them all as its way outside my knowledge.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by SloScooter View Post
    I was always told if you can replace your HU that you should. Only reason I would replace it. I own all the equipment I listed as it came out of my explorer. My wife has the nav tv piece in her F150 and we are on our second unit, as this NAV TV has been nothing but issues for us. In my 17 F-250 I has the DSR1 with the vehicle specific harness and had no issues with that unit. However I have read a lot of negative feed back on it from other sources. The B&O in the 19 Super Duty’s I am told is a rebadged sony system and is not the same as the F150’s. I do not know if this is true or not, but I know my wife’s adaptive cruise control is different than my Super Duty’s so there could be truth to that.

As far as installers go, I do want a really good installer this time around as this is an 80K truck and want it to sound much better than it does. So many stores around me but picking the right one is tough when I am new to the area.

Thanks for your input on the DSP...not sure the difference in them all as its way outside my knowledge.
    Replacing the head unit to get better is not the case anymore. If the factory produces a flat signal (which this should) then it isn't really needed unless you want more options. Most even have nice interface modules (pac amp pro and/or nav tv) to get low level super clean and flat signals.

You will have to check on the NAV TV stuff. I thought this was the only way to get rid of the B&O. If it really is just a rebadged sony, then the pacamp pro will work. I know many that use it and have zero issues. Have you updated the firmware to the lastest update on your wife's?

Pac amp pro compatibility does note that this should work...https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...faces/ap4-fd21
    From compatibility notes:
    • 2018-2019 Super Duty Trucks can have either Sony or B&O systems to be compatible.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5

Drive the truck up to Simplicity in Sound in the Bay Area and have Bing work his magic. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Replacing the head unit to get better is not the case anymore. If the factory produces a flat signal (which this should) then it isn't really needed unless you want more options. Most even have nice interface modules (pac amp pro and/or nav tv) to get low level super clean and flat signals.

You will have to check on the NAV TV stuff. I thought this was the only way to get rid of the B&O. If it really is just a rebadged sony, then the pacamp pro will work. I know many that use it and have zero issues. Have you updated the firmware to the lastest update on your wife's?

Pac amp pro compatibility does note that this should work...https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...faces/ap4-fd21
    From compatibility notes:
    • 2018-2019 Super Duty Trucks can have either Sony or B&O systems to be compatible.
    ‘After a little more research you can replace the HU for linkswell, but I have no interest in that. I will go with the pac amp pro most likely. I appreciate the replies. Thank you.