Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some Guidance and suggestions.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some Guidance and suggestions.

Hello CAJunkies,

I've been gone for such a long time and have not really been keeping up with the latest and greatest of anything. So I would like some suggestions.

I have on order a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport that will have mostly crappy (possibly Sony) speakers, that I will want to upgrade the audio system. As its currently not out yet I don't know the exact specs of what's stock so I'm keeping my options open.

Goals:
    1) Keep the factory touchscreen unit (using Forscan and adapters/rewiring to get a flat EQ and possibly no time alignment). Looking for suggestions for a 3-way combo dsp & amp, or small dsp & small amp.. (possibly need to fit both under seat). Not looking for HUGE power, I really don't listen very loud... 45W/ch has been more than enough for me before.

2) Looking for 6.5-7" mids that do well in IB and 1-2" tweets/full range recommendations for a two way front stage (I believe that both Mids & tweets are located on the lower door panels in stock location). I am willing to do mods to the huge sail panels for tweets if necessary but I don't want to cut the doors to fit bigger components. I don't want to do a 3 way on the A-Pillar, and don't want to fabricate kick panels. Don't have the time and skill necessary to do a sealed enclosure for the door but can do basic door sealing.

3) Looking for a decent (or mediocre) under seat sub. Yes I know most are not great. Yes, I know most are mediocre at best. I'm not a Bass head... I've actually lived about 12 years without a sub and was fine.. I don't really listen to bass heavy music though I do know I am missing some but don't really care all that much. With that in mind, I'm not interested in putting a box in... as I want to keep all of my cargo capacity. (Sub in spare tire well might be a possibility if I decide to move the tire to hitch mounted though there are rear rubber cargo mats that might alter the sound of a sub). Looking for recommendations for 6-8" subs that would work in a small space might not even be worth it so it's not a need right now.

Budget is ~$2K for front components, dsp and amp. Ok with new.. previously loved is fine with me.

I have been reading a lot but there is so much info out there that it's throwing me for a loop. Since this project is no where in the next month or two or three.. (Maybe end of the year)... I would like to get started on the plan.. and the saving $.

Thanks All

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Need some Guidance and suggestions.

If you ordered the upgraded audio, it will be B&O, not sony. In that case you will need a NAV TV to overcome this (not super cheap here but the only way to do it)

If not upgraded audio then you will need the correct harness for behind it. Sync 3 uses the for-11ck harness. Sync 4 is supposed to come out soon so the bronco might have this...I don't know if this changes the harness but I am guessing it will.

1) Small dsp/amp, you can't go wrong with helix integrated or JL Audio VXI series. VXi would be it if I was going to bridge channels, helix you can't bridge but better DSP.

2) Two way, if you can fit the audiofrog gs25 that would be hands down the choice. Cross it lower than a traditional tweeter.

Mid, your choice but if you can swing the gb60's you won't be dissapointed.

3) JL TW3 series subs are hard to beat for shallow subs. I ran a 10" tw3 (now in my wife's suv) and it is a beast for a shallow. Illusion audio is another or SI MKV's have another run going on right now.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    If you ordered the upgraded audio, it will be B&O, not sony. In that case you will need a NAV TV to overcome this (not super cheap here but the only way to do it)

If not upgraded audio then you will need the correct harness for behind it. Sync 3 uses the for-11ck harness. Sync 4 is supposed to come out soon so the bronco might have this...I don't know if this changes the harness but I am guessing it will.
    I definitely didn't order the B&O...

According to the higher powers at Ford:
    • The Ford Bronco Sport will not have Sync 4, I believe its planned that anything 2023 and beyond will have Sync 4 as the Mustang Mach E will be the first to get it.
    • Sync 3 can not be upgraded to Sync 4.

Also thank you for your suggestions, the Audio Frogs are on my short list. I don't think I can actually fit those 2.5" mids.

Edit:
    Actually.. 2.5" might... I'll keep them on the list. Suggestions for x-over points?
    Last edited by blacklishunter; 09-23-2020 at 01:59 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Sorry mate - not any help to you here - but when I read ‘budget $2k’ for a DSP, two way components, amp(s) and underseat sub integrated into OEM head unit I thought ‘you must be dreaming’. Apparently not if jdunk is suggesting AudioFrog and JL gear!! Dam stuff is cheap in the US. To get a decent DSP (say a Helix) down under would take half of your budget straight up. Of course that is Aussie to US dollars and not completely ‘apples for apples’; but all the same...
    FM...
    Good luck on the build man and enjoy the new wheels ��

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

The gs25's can be crossed as low as 200hz according to audiofrog. I would probably go with like 350-400hz just because you don't need to go that low if you are mating them to a 6" midbass speaker. A 6" is really good up to about 500hz before you start getting slightly directional frequencies. Sure they can play higher, but it gets directional (meaning you need to have them more on axis).

but a

JL VXI 4 channel amp ~$1000
    GS25 ~ $200
    TW3 ~ $350
    Amp for sub ~$250

That leaves about $300 left over for 6" speakers. GS60 fits that bill.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
    Sorry mate - not any help to you here - but when I read ‘budget $2k’ for a DSP, two way components, amp(s) and underseat sub integrated into OEM head unit I thought ‘you must be dreaming’. Apparently not if jdunk is suggesting AudioFrog and JL gear!! Dam stuff is cheap in the US. To get a decent DSP (say a Helix) down under would take half of your budget straight up. Of course that is Aussie to US dollars and not completely ‘apples for apples’; but all the same...
    FM...
    Good luck on the build man and enjoy the new wheels ��
    It's a little cheaper.. but the Helix P Six is more than half my budget on ebay... Those audio frogs are quite expensive but I'm willing to hunt down some used items to cut cost.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    The gs25's can be crossed as low as 200hz according to audiofrog. I would probably go with like 350-400hz just because you don't need to go that low if you are mating them to a 6" midbass speaker. A 6" is really good up to about 500hz before you start getting slightly directional frequencies. Sure they can play higher, but it gets directional (meaning you need to have them more on axis).

but a

JL VXI 4 channel amp ~$1000
    GS25 ~ $200
    TW3 ~ $350
    Amp for sub ~$250

That leaves about $300 left over for 6" speakers. GS60 fits that bill.
    To be honest I'm probably going to cut out the TW3 & sub amp... at first

Question.. is it worth it to mate a GS25 with a GB60 or should I just match it with a GS60? any gains going for the higher end?

Do you or anyone else have opinions regarding SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 or the Satori MW16P for IB door use instead?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

We need pics of the new Bronco. I don't even have a frame of reference on those things.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by blacklishunter View Post
    To be honest I'm probably going to cut out the TW3 & sub amp... at first

Question.. is it worth it to mate a GS25 with a GB60 or should I just match it with a GS60? any gains going for the higher end?

Do you or anyone else have opinions regarding SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 or the Satori MW16P for IB door use instead?
    The gb60 (You can look at Erin H's klippel measurements on this at www.erinsaudiocorner.com) is one of the best 6" car specific speakers you can buy. There are absolutely gains to be made.

I actually have the sb acoustics in my rear doors of my truck. Good speaker, but not what I would choose if my crossover was going to be less than 500hz. I don't know if it is better than the gs60 or not.

I actually chose the peerless sls 6" woofer...it is an amazing dedicated midbass, but it would require something like the gs25 as the peerless CAN NOT be crossed over higher than 500hz.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...-ohm--264-1148
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 09-23-2020 at 04:05 PM.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    We need pics of the new Bronco. I don't even have a frame of reference on those things.
    As it's not out yet.. there are only preproduction pictures which isn't a 100% accurate... but according to some leaked pictures below, it may have dash speakers.. though I'm not sure of the trim it will be on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bronco_Sport_Interior_0022.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	13966

The following shows the overall interior front.. but I could only sort of see dash speakers on the left but not able to see the right, and obviously door speakers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BS_interior.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	13967