Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some Guidance and suggestions.

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Need some Guidance and suggestions.

Oh, I glanced over the fact you had it on order.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

What about the Rockford Fosgate DSR1? If I remember correctly, they mainly support the newer Ford and Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles. Used one in the previous install of our 2014 Grand Cherokee with mixed results. I had an issue with it randomly loading a generic tune every time I tried to connect via Bluetooth and make adjustments, which meant I had to start all over with every setting each time I wanted to tune it. But I never tried a different phone or tablet, it could have just been my phone at the time wasn't compatible with it.

Those are very affordable, and would leave a big chunk of your budget leftover for amplifier(s) and speakers, sub(s), enclosure, wiring, dampener, etc. If they stick with the 5x7/6x8 that was common with Ford, the Image Dynamics XS57 component set would be an amazing recommendation. Those woofers are incredible, and the tweeters are very enjoyable. Not too harsh at all. And Image Dynamics also offers the ID and IDQ 8" subwoofers that absolutely jam. They also offer a shallow IDQS 8" now, but you may not need that. The ID XS57 comp set is $230 on eBay, and the subs are pretty affordable too - Leaving an even bigger chunk of budget still for amplifiers and enclosure, wiring, dampener...

If you prefer the DIY route though, I am using the SB Acoustics that were previously recommended in my current install, and have used them and Morel pieces in the past with awesome results. I think about everyone here can attest to the pleasantness of Morel tweeters.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    What about the Rockford Fosgate DSR1? If I remember correctly, they mainly support the newer Ford and Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles. Used one in the previous install of our 2014 Grand Cherokee with mixed results. I had an issue with it randomly loading a generic tune every time I tried to connect via Bluetooth and make adjustments, which meant I had to start all over with every setting each time I wanted to tune it. But I never tried a different phone or tablet, it could have just been my phone at the time wasn't compatible with it.

Those are very affordable, and would leave a big chunk of your budget leftover for amplifier(s) and speakers, sub(s), enclosure, wiring, dampener, etc. If they stick with the 5x7/6x8 that was common with Ford, the Image Dynamics XS57 component set would be an amazing recommendation. Those woofers are incredible, and the tweeters are very enjoyable. Not too harsh at all. And Image Dynamics also offers the ID and IDQ 8" subwoofers that absolutely jam. They also offer a shallow IDQS 8" now, but you may not need that. The ID XS57 comp set is $230 on eBay, and the subs are pretty affordable too - Leaving an even bigger chunk of budget still for amplifiers and enclosure, wiring, dampener...

If you prefer the DIY route though, I am using the SB Acoustics that were previously recommended in my current install, and have used them and Morel pieces in the past with awesome results. I think about everyone here can attest to the pleasantness of Morel tweeters.

The DSR1 sounds interesting.. and at the same time scary. I have been thinking of doing a MiniDSP 8x12/Helix DSP Mini.. with possibly the Soundstream Rubicon Nano RN5.2000D or Arc Audio X2 1100.5 amp. Which would save budget for quality drivers.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

No dsr1. It has issues.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

MiniDSP and Arc is always a good combination

6. Back To Top    #16
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by blacklishunter View Post
    The DSR1 sounds interesting.. and at the same time scary. I have been thinking of doing a MiniDSP 8x12/Helix DSP Mini.. with possibly the Soundstream Rubicon Nano RN5.2000D or Arc Audio X2 1100.5 amp. Which would save budget for quality drivers.
    i ran a DSR1 for awhile, ultimately swapped to a dayton dsp so i could tune w/ a computer rather than my phone. i still have it and would let it go cheap if you have any interest. i didn't have quite the same issue as daniel (chithead), but loading presets for me didn't always work as expected...not a huge deal in my case, but ymmv. other than that, no real issues, but tuning by phone is kind of quirky...download the app if you're looking at one and play around with it in demo mode. it has some limitations but it's pretty powerful for what it is.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

No doubt, the DSR1 did work really well - just had that odd quirk for me when I connected my phone to try and make an adjustment. Other than that, had no problems.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    No doubt, the DSR1 did work really well - just had that odd quirk for me when I connected my phone to try and make an adjustment. Other than that, had no problems.
    Those weird connection issues are usually the problems people have. Not worth it. I want something that works and doesn't erase everything I do, that I can connect to when I want to, etc. I see it all the time on f150forums with people that use the dsr1 and have connection issues. It is why I didn't go with it (especially after my 360.3 connection issues). I would spend more time trying to connect (or the issues connecting caused) then I would tuning.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by blacklishunter View Post
    Soundstream Rubicon Nano RN5.2000D.
    Soundstream! Wow I haven't heard that name in a while...I actually have a brand new in box Soundstream HARMONY Processor (I couldn't call it a DSP) from I have no idea how long ago...
    It's up for sale if anyone needs a box to hold a door open

10. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
    Soundstream! Wow I haven't heard that name in a while...I actually have a brand new in box Soundstream HARMONY Processor (I couldn't call it a DSP) from I have no idea how long ago...
    It's up for sale if anyone needs a box to hold a door open
    I'm still not 100% sure what I will do as it will depend on where the OEM amp will be located and if I can fit 2 or only 1 component in it.

Right now I'm looking at a Helix DSP Mini or DSP.3 (depending on good used deals) - Probably match it with an Alpine PDX-V9

Only thought about the SS Rubicon is for S#*ts and giggles.. a Rubicon inside a Bronco.. But they're based on the same (good value NVX amps years ago I believe) plus its $250 for 75x4 + 300x1.

However if space is limited.. I might have to go for JL VX1000/5i, Helix P Six, or Zapco ADSP-Z8.

Looking at AF GB60 and GS25 for two way.

Also.. is there something wrong with the forum? It's showing weird for me.