Thread: Test equipment before install?

1. Back To Top    #1

Test equipment before install?

I'm getting ready to do my first build, ordering lots of gear. I'd like to know if/how everyone tests their speakers, amps, headunits, dsp, etc before actually installing it into the vehicle? And this is just to test to make sure it works and functions properly. Some of what I order only has 30 day return and I'm not sure if I'll get to test everything before then, but I'll try. My assumption is to just get everything hooked into power and signal in the vehicle but not fully installed and see if they work?

Thanks for any advice and feedback on this!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Re: Test equipment before install?

I bought an inexpensive DC power supply...up to 5 amps...off of Amazon to use just for this purpose as well as to bring back Li-Po and Lith-O batteries that have discharged below a certain threshold. I think mine was around $50.00. Something I'll use again I'm sure!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just recently ordered a cheap ocilloscope ($140) for checking signals. I've always wanted one, and have been using them for over 30 years, mainly for work... but I never bought one for myself to tinker with.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Eric

Speakers would definitely be worth testing before you remove the door card, pillar, etc... I've never done a sub this way, but you can connect some short speaker wires to each speaker and then touch the wires to a little 9v battery. It should move the cone a bit or make a little 'thump' to let you know the voice coil is intact.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by cueball981 View Post
    I bought an inexpensive DC power supply...up to 5 amps...off of Amazon to use just for this purpose as well as to bring back Li-Po and Lith-O batteries that have discharged below a certain threshold. I think mine was around $50.00. Something I'll use again I'm sure!
    And along this line, if you have an old computer laying around, you can repurpose the power supply from it...