Thread: Subwoofer power level impacted by HU volume

1. Back To Top    #1

Subwoofer power level impacted by HU volume

Hello all!

Wondering if anyone has any advice or help with an issue I'm having with my subwoofer set up.

I have a 07' charger rt with the premium Boston acoustics speaker set up. I decided not to change the stock HU to save some money and it works just fine. I wanted some extra bass so I hooked up my 2 15" kicker subs to a JX 500/1 mono amp with an extra audio battery inline with the power connections.

Due to the HU being stock, there isn't any RCA outputs from the deck. And my amp unfortuately has no high level input. So I spliced into the the rear speaker wires and put a high level - low level converter to convert it to the needed RCA connections.

The subs work great and hit quite hard at lower volume on my HU. But when I begin to turn the volume up, the subs seem to become less powerful as the volume increases. The still hit, but at a knowticably less power level.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Subwoofer power level impacted by HU volume

Unfortunately, it's pretty common these days for factory HU's to use a volume-dependant EQ. As you crank the volume up, the HU (or whatever is doing processing for the boston acoustics system) is literally reducing the bass. They do this to protect the factory speakers, saves a lot of warranty claims I imagine.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Yep, sounds like exactly that!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

Loudness, boosts the upper and lower frequencies at low volume gradually reducing said boost to 0 as the volume approaches maximum. It's very, very common in factory head units, and hated by car audio enthusiasts everywhere because of the problem you're having. The least they could do is give us an on/off switch for it.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

You may need something like a JL Fix. Set your headunit volume just below the point at which the bass volume gets reduced. You will then use the volume control from the JL Fix.