Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Zero GZDSP 4-8XII DSP

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground Zero GZDSP 4-8XII DSP

So saw this recently and saw that it won some awards, and saw a guy trying to sell one over on another forum...

Correct me if I a wrong, but this to me looks like a dayton DSP408 with GZ branding and an extra $200-300 to the MSRP? Even the software and app look identical.

Anyone have any experience? Any of the Dayton issues solved by GZ? I honestly haven't played with any GZ stuff in 19/20 years, I remember when it was the shit, but it seems like the quality has gone down a little.

https://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en.../gzdsp-4-8xii/
    Last edited by Dakine_surf; 09-16-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Forgot Link

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ground Zero GZDSP 4-8XII DSP

Woah weird. I have the Dayton and yeah, the hardware looks identical. The app has a some visual differences but it's mostly the same.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by goatpanda View Post
    Woah weird. I have the Dayton and yeah, the hardware looks identical. The app has a some visual differences but it's mostly the same.
    So after a little digging, someone responded over on that other forum but they are a vendor so I'm a little skeptical hippo.

"It is from the same build house, uses the same housing and board but with upgraded components. It uses an upgraded SigmaDSP chip. It has lower floor noise vs the Dayton. Also allows more voltage over the RCA inputs which helps cut down on noise. The Dayton can only accept up to 3.2v. The software also doesn't have bugs like the Dayton, it has been refined. Normally a more refined product costs more. You have to weigh your benefits vs cost, like I said the Dayton may be fine for some users."

Apparently it has an "upgraded" SigmaDSP chip (over the dayton which uses the ADAU1701) not sure exactly what that means, I haven't managed to find out which chip for sure it has, I suspect there is no "upgrade" here. It is supposed to have lower floor noise vs the Dayton (again would have to hear it but nothing in the specs makes me think that). Also allows more voltage over the RCA inputs (again not according to the GZ website: 0-1v RCA, 1-8V Hi-Level). The Dayton can only accept up to 3.2v in RCA (true). The software also doesn't have bugs like the Dayton, (again would have to see this myself) it has been refined.

Could GZ have taken the Dayton and improved it, maybe, but a quick surface read on the literature make me think GZ is selling pig with lipstick. Not that the dayton is a bad DSP (esp sub $200) but its not worth 350-500 that GZ seems to be going for.

4. Back To Top    #4

Interesting. It's plausible for an existing design to be upgraded with a better chip and/or better components like op-amps, etc. How much of an improvement that would result in is tough to say. Would need to be verified by a side-by-side comparison with test equipment.

Dayton doesn't apply the "car audio tax" to their products, which is part of why they're such a good value. The GZ could indeed be an improved version but yeah, I bet they have more markup on their product.
    '18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT. Hiby RS6 to Helix DSP.3 (Balanced Analog). Amps: Biketronics BT4210 (210 x 4 mids/tweets), Biketronics BT3725 (250 x 2 midbasses, 700 x 1 sub). Mids: Satori MW13P-4 5" (Factory Door Locations). Tweets: Bliesma T25S-6 Silk-Dome 1" (Modded Factory A-Pillar Locations). Midbasses: Dayton Designer DSA175-8 6.5" in Ported Underseat Enclosures. Subs: 2 x Scanspeak Discovery 10" in Underfloor Sealed Enclosure.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post
    So after a little digging, someone responded over on that other forum but they are a vendor so I'm a little skeptical hippo.

"It is from the same build house, uses the same housing and board but with upgraded components. It uses an upgraded SigmaDSP chip. It has lower floor noise vs the Dayton. Also allows more voltage over the RCA inputs which helps cut down on noise. The Dayton can only accept up to 3.2v. The software also doesn't have bugs like the Dayton, it has been refined. Normally a more refined product costs more. You have to weigh your benefits vs cost, like I said the Dayton may be fine for some users."

Apparently it has an "upgraded" SigmaDSP chip (over the dayton which uses the ADAU1701) not sure exactly what that means, I haven't managed to find out which chip for sure it has, I suspect there is no "upgrade" here. It is supposed to have lower floor noise vs the Dayton (again would have to hear it but nothing in the specs makes me think that). Also allows more voltage over the RCA inputs (again not according to the GZ website: 0-1v RCA, 1-8V Hi-Level). The Dayton can only accept up to 3.2v in RCA (true). The software also doesn't have bugs like the Dayton, (again would have to see this myself) it has been refined.
    Both DSPs use dual sigmadsp adau 1701. No upgrade there. Highly, highly doubt ground zero has a software engineer on staff to do any coding changes.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by shootmedmmit View Post
    Both DSPs use dual sigmadsp adau 1701. No upgrade there. Highly, highly doubt ground zero has a software engineer on staff to do any coding changes.
    Yeah I'd put money on it, check this out, god good there at the end... lol

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa....431047/page-2

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

That was highly entertaining to read through! Same DSP...SAME! Ground Zero just lost any hopes of me ever considering them for any audio needs, though I really never felt they were all that to begin with.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine_surf View Post
    Yeah I'd put money on it, check this out, god good there at the end... lol

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa....431047/page-2
    Groundbreaking stuff from ground zero

9. Back To Top    #9

Which is a shame... I cut my teeth in the late 90's, Ground Zero was pretty awesome stuff at the time... Well built, great Customer service, made in the USA when that actually meant something.

What bums me out more is the mentality of marketing on the uninformed. We need more transparent companies

10. Back To Top    #10

It's so weird. They still seem to offer some pretty high-end stuff, like their Reference Pure amps. But then they do something like this...I don't get it. I like my Dayton and it hasn't given me any problems, but there would have to be some significant improvements to it for me to pay double for a variant.