Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helix Auto TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Helix Auto TA

Hi guys, so with Helix DSP Tool 4.70 beta there's a new function called Auto TA.

• ATM - The official public beta version of "Automatic Time Measurement" has been added. This is a completely new algorythm and function which allows the user to fully automatically set up the time alignment in a car for all speaker channels indepentend if these are active or passive speaker systems. The new function can be accessed by pressing "SHIFT" + "t" in any window. To use the function name ALL inputs and outputs correctly, make sure that a fullrange stereo signal is routed to analog input channels "A & B" or in case of VCP to Virtual Channels "Front Left" and "Front Right" and play the ATM test track from the SoundFiles folder. The microphone needs to be mounted in a fixed position at the the centered head position e.g. mounting the mic to the headrest facing upwords or in a 45° angle to the inner roof. At last make sure that the measurement volume is in the green/good marked area of the microphone level bar and click on the "Start" button. If necessary it is possible to select/unselect specific channels in the table of the new window.

Wondering if anyone has used this and want to share their results. Hopefully in time someone posts a video going through the process.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: Helix Auto TA

I haven't tried it myself yet. I already set my timing(s) via tape measure. But, plan on giving it a try soon. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. The general consensus was it is buggy and needs some work.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #3

I did try it, and got some weird results... It completely ignored my midbasses.. I was going to give it another go but haven't had the chance nor energy as of yet.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea I tried this when it first came out a month or so ago. It took some figuring out to get it to work, but once I did that, it seems to work nearly perfectly, and fast!!!

Imaging and such was spot on and I was very impressed esp, for an auto TA in just a few mins. The ONLY thing I could not get working is getting the SUB TA'd with the rest. For some reason the signal was alway way too low for it to register.

Eventually I gave up on the SUB and did the rest and have been happy with it. I am sure it will get better and I will try again soon to see if I can get the SUB set also.

5. Back To Top    #5

i also tried the ATM feature, but it gives me very curious values.

I have a UMIK-1.
    I bet everyone getting good results are using the MTK1 from ATF directly

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by sandros View Post

I have a UMIK-1.
    Nope, Mini UMIK-1 here.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I have a UMIK-1.
    No. Both are just microphones. I'd bet $1.00 that the Helix mic is a rebranded miniDSP UMIK-1.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I have a UMIK-1.

Did you change the calibration file (not that it should make a HUGE difference but could still make some) for the helix to your mic's cal file?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

I'm not sure how it can ignore your mid bass drivers when the impulse is based on the mid bass driver...

The system works extremely well. I have been using it for many months and with only a few small issues in the first few generations.
    Doug Dobson

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post

Did you change the calibration file (not that it should make a HUGE difference but could still make some) for the helix to your mic's cal file?
    Yes i changed it.
    I wrote Helix about a bug with the Auto EQ and they fixed it now.
    You can read about it in Apicella's Auto EQ Thread.

I think the Helix Software read the cal file from a UMIK-1 the wrong way.

Patrick Hegener doesnt explained it in detail what they fixed now.

The Update is Live now