My soccer dad van needs an upgrade.
    I'll be installing what I gutted from my previous car/setup:

Hu: Pioneer deh-80prs
    Tweets: Dayton nd25fa-4
    Midrange: Seas 4.5 L11RC/P
    Midbass: peerless SLS 6.5. Or possibly vifa 10" M26WR-09-08
    Sub: IDQ 15s sealed.

Pictures to come.

Plans: Dash pods for the tweets and midrange.
    Midbass in the doors. 6.5s IB or sealed for the 10"s (deciding if I want to go through the cutting of the door panels and to fiberglass the enclosure. Glassing can be a pain.
    Large sealed enclosure for the idq15's. 5.45cuft net for the two.

The HU is 3-way so I'll have to use an RCA output from the MIdbass amp to feed the sub amp. No time alignment for subs because of that.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2004 Toyota Sienna

Disclaimer: I am a broke mofo. I'll state that so people don't expect some fancy gear and install.
    Being that I'm installing in my 2004 Sienna shoukd give that away, but I feel it must be stated.

I'll be using all my old gear and what I have laying around. pretty much everything, except some fabrication materials. Being a hoarder is paying off right now.
    Last edited by James Bang; 03-19-2024 at 02:32 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've read that fiberglass resin doesn't really bond with hdpe, so I had to scrap my original baffle rings for the dash pods. Replaced with good ol wood. I used pine wood from scrap. This warehouse sells off their shipping crates for only $5. Not the best wood, but plenty enough for 4.5" midranges that will play down to 250hz

Last edited by James Bang; 3 Days Ago at 10:29 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a little late for this as the pods are already done, but I could have shaved down the tweet flange to tighten up the center-to-center distance of the tweet and midrange. Oh well.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pods braced and wrapped:

A few layers of glass later:

Trimmed

Flattened the baffle surface with a belt sander then used the flush trim bit

Don't mind the extremely messy garage

Dampened. Outside because I forgot to do so before sealing them...

Last edited by James Bang; 3 Days Ago at 10:30 PM.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice progress. What material will you be wrapping the pillars with?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Nice progress. What material will you be wrapping the pillars with?
    I haven't decided yet. Whatever it is, I'll have to also do the same for the A-pillar panels. It might be the black speaker grill cloth I already have, as to not need to buy anything, but I'll have to maybe spray a coat of black spray paint on it, because the last time I used it, it had a faded-black purple color to it from the sun.

Here's the weird coloration:
    The A-pillar and the grill used the same cloth,but only the grill had the coloration. Idk why

8. Back To Top    #8

So I got a little lazy. Even though I went out to get some body filler, I decided not to use it and started wrapping the dash pods.
    I first wrapped with speaker box carpet, then grill cloth on top of that. The goal was to use the carpet like a batting material covering the imperfections of the fiberglass. It kind of worked.

Carpet:

Grill cloth:

Passenger side has more bumps that still show. Oh well.

To make a cover to be stealth, since I live in a pretty ghetto city, I might utilize the hdpe baffle I originally made for the pods. The plan is to first route the back part to fit over the speakers. Though the clearances are small I need to route about half the depth of the baffle. Hopefully it's forgiving. Then wrap them with grill cloth and attach them with small magnets, if I can find where I put them

Now I need to wrap the stock A-pillar panels with the grill cloth to match. I also want the A-pillars black, because I mentally feel I have a more narrow and shallow stage when the A-pillars is a light color on my face. Closing my eyes to listen will fix that, but I can't drive that way.
    Last edited by James Bang; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:13 AM.

9. Back To Top    #9

The subwoofer...

The sealed enclosure was already built, but not wrapped yet.
    Birch plywood. I love that it's sturdy and light weight, but $90 for a sheet was painful.

Simple boring rectangle cube 5.4cuft to fit in the rear storage space.

But... The subwoofer plan may change from dual sealed, to a single 15" IB.
    Now the output will definitely drop, but it will be much more stealth and have a little awe factor, for me at least, if I can pull it off.

I will need to vent the IDQ 15 out of the cabin pressure vent, which was conveniently where the stock sub enclosure was.
    Panel removed:

What's behind the panel with OEM sub removed (8" sealed)

The vent to Infinity and beyond:

Does it fit?

Is that a 15" in your quarter panel, or are you just happy to see me?

Oh, here's the stock sub grill with the carpet and jbl emblem removed that will be hacked up to accommodate the 15"

Last edited by James Bang; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:15 AM.

10. Back To Top    #10

My decision to have 10" midbasses again has been made, for panels have been cut and there's no turning back now.
    My previous setup had Peerless SLS 10s in a leaky door. This time, I'm hoping to go sealed to circumvent any door panel resonances and rattles. More fabrication, less door treatments.

OEM for panel:

Melted plastic rivets held the bottom portion on, which I hope to use to shape the bottom when I'm glassing.
    The idea is just to wrap the bottom piece in place with a flat wood back side and just glass over it.

Lower portion cut:

More cutting

Mock up: I'll try to aim it just a little bit later

Some metal will need to be cut to accommodate the depth and the motor vent.
    Last edited by James Bang; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:16 AM.