Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distraction of seeing drivers on the dash.

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Distraction of seeing drivers on the dash.

This is the single biggest reason why i chose to run horns. The fact that i can put an 8" driver in a door and hide horns under the dash and still have an extremely good sounding system while basically having a 100% stealth install was a huge positive for me. And this is coming from someone who also had 10" midbass in kicks with giant holes in firewalls and fiberglass door enclosures for midranges and tweeters in waveguides on dash and just a plethora of wild install ideas.

I went to a few different SQ competitions and my very favorite thing was when judges would get in and listen, get out and look at me all confused like, "hey man, where are your midrange and tweeter drivers? And i'd be like..oh im running horns and they'd be like ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I think this is especially interesting when you demo it for other people. A lot of people used to get in my car back when i had 10s and a giant install and immediately start asking about drivers and enclosures and if they get in the way and just a plethora of questions. With horns though, it was like..sit down and just listen and i love that.

Also European competitions let you black out your car for that very reason..So they judge based on sound and sound alone.

2. Back To Top    #12

Re: Distraction of seeing drivers on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    I guess I should stick with the stock hidden locations then.
    I wouldn't say that's an absolute must. You can absolutely tune to make speaker locations disappear but your eyes will always be drawn to bulges and viewable speakers. I think its really about understanding what a speaker needs location wise to take into account reflections and enclosure, and then planning your install to make sure that the speaker locations you want can be hidden. I've seen full on dash rebuilds that housed 2 mid basses per side and a sub in the center that looked amazing when it was done. it didn't looked stock but it was very very clean and extremely well hidden. tts all about design and attention to detail. I took a few minutes to try and find the install i am mentioning but can't seem to find it. :/