Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexy Media/TV Stand Build

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Flexy Media/TV Stand Build

My wife and I wanted to update our tv/media stand for quite some time. I built a really nice oak shelf with my cousin who was a cabinet maker back in 2007. It was fine, just the oak wasn't our style and the color wasn't our color anymore.

Previous setup, this was halfway through removing things from the shelf. I knew I wouldn't have time for a proper dirac live with bass control run, so was just inputting my old settings for distance and levels. The HTP-1 allows for direct input of REW filters too. Makes it super easy to input my old PEQ settings. It has 16 PEQ's for each channel. This can be run without Dirac live, before dirac live, or after dirac live. You can see a demo version of this awesome HTP-1 interface made by pinksoda over on avs forums here: http://jsoosiah.com/
    The HTP-1 awesome has an awesome ability to use the input from either left or right signal and route it to every single speaker you have. No need to use asio or anything else that is limited to just the 7.1 base channels (they can't do heights). So many nice features with this thing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Setup.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	17130
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 03-02-2022 at 09:59 AM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Flexy Media/TV Stand Build

Since my wife wanted a new shelf (so did I), I took this time to make a shelf that can fit a vertical center channel speaker. Most centers are not actually good at being laid horizontal, but perform great standing up. Also since I had ordered a new Philharmonic BMR monitor for center, it works really well standing up.

My full system is now the following
    Monolith HTP-1 pre/pro
    Buckeye 6 channel 502mp for base layers
    Buckeye 4 channel 252mp for atmos/auro height speakers
    Philharmonic BMR towers for left/right
    Philharmonic BMR Monitor for center
    Philharmonic Mini Monitors for right/left surround
    JBL In Celing SP6Cii for front/rear atmos

I first started off looking up ideas on what to build. I settled on a flexy shelf design using 5/8" black oxide threaded rod and matching washers/nuts. We also planned on staining it a gray color and then dry brushing it with white paint. This was made out of stain grade pine you can get from home depot.

I cut the bottom board at 66" wide and 20" deep and the other shelfs are 24" wide x 20" deep.

I originally had this brillant idea that if I clamped all of the shelfs together and then just drilled all of the holes at once, it would make sure all the holes would match up. Well in theory this sounded great, but in practice this did not work. Not sure exactly why, but it didn't work. I am guessing that by clamping them, any small warps in the board were removed, and then when unclamped, these made all of the holes not exactly match up.

Good news was, I drilled 5/8" holes and these were too tight with the 5/8" rod, so I had to drill them slightly bigger. I went with 11/16" drill bit and then just drilled one shelf at a time. This got all of the holes good enough that the washers would then cover any weird oblong holes.

Here is the first test fit after all of this, note, I still needed to cut out the 24" x 20" center shelfs at this point, but the left/right side was done.

Name:	Test Fitting.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	17131
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 03-02-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I then was trying out different stain colors and making sure we wanted it to look like for the final product.

Here were the stain choices, we used minwax water based stains as we knew we were probably going to dry brush it with water based paint.

Name:	Charcoal Gray.JPG 
Views:	619 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	17132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oyster Gray Stain.JPG 
Views:	605 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	17133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slate.JPG 
Views:	607 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	17134

I first thought we wanted oyster gray for a weathered look.

Name:	Oyster Gray Comparison.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	17135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 coat vs 2 coats.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	17136

Well that was not the case, so we decided to try charcoal gray and slate. We were leaning toward charcoal gray when we looked at pictures. Good thing we tried them out because we ended up liking slate the best. We also were not 100% sure if we liked the dry brush white at this point so we tested it out as well. We ended up liking it the best with slate.

This was us comparing the charcoal vs. slate. Charcoal looked a little too old/weathered and had a little too much blue in it. Slate looked good, we almost just went with slate and no dry brush.

Name:	Charcoal vs slate.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	17138

Here was comparing no dry brush slate to dry brushed oyster and charcoal.

Name:	Stain Comparisons no dry brush.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	17143

Then we dry brushed the slate to see what it would look like. My wife was sad because she liked the dry brush with slate, which meant she had to dry brush all of the shelf's. She was hoping to not need to, but it looked by far the best.

Name:	All three stain comparisons dry brush.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	17142
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 03-02-2022 at 09:42 AM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

So now that we had our stain color and for sure dry brushing figured out, it was time to get to work on staining.

One coat of slate went on to each board on the top, bottom, and edges. Two coats made it too dark, that was tested and we didn't like it.

I originally sectioned off the long bottom shelf in small sections depth wise. I then had to sand this down and re-do it because you could see my start and stop points. I then sectioned it off length wise, so I would stain an entire strip of the length, and then go back and do the next strip. This allowed the strips to blend in with the natural grain and you could no longer see the start/stop points.

Name:	Getting them stained 2.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	17144

Name:	Getting them stained.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	17145
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 03-02-2022 at 09:47 AM.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Once the stain was all dry, it was time for the dry brush technique.

This my wife did. She wouldn't allow me to do it. I don't blame her, she is much better at painting than me (she was a theatre teacher and very good at painting differnt patterns/techniques/appearances).

She did all of this work, and she did a very nice job!

Name:	Dry Brushing.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	17150

Name:	Dry Brush done.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	345.0 KB 
ID:	17146

Name:	Dry Brush long shelf.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	17149
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 03-02-2022 at 09:50 AM.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Next, it was time to clear coat it. We chose a gloss water based polycrilic from minwax.

I put five coats on the top and sides. Four coats on the bottom.

Name:	Gloss Clear Coat.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	17153

Name:	Gloss Clear Coat 2.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	17152
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 03-02-2022 at 09:52 AM.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Finally it was final assemble time.

This took a little bit of patience. Leveling the shelfs and making sure everything was going to be at the right height was challenging. I learned that I should do it from the top down after trying from the bottom up and not getting the spacing a the top most shelf level. This resulted in some of the threaded rod to be poking out at the top. I didn't want this, so I leveled the top shelfs to have minimal threaded rod poking out or recessed. Then set all of my shelf levels based on that. I don't really care if the bottom is slightly off.

I also used flange nuts on the bottom and placed some felt pads on these. This way I can level the feet without messing up the shelf leveling.

Name:	Leveling 2.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	17154

Name:	Leveling.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	17155

And here is the final product with the old center on it (polk cs2 series 2) and monitor 70 series 2. These old speakers were gifted to a friend that I know would enjoy them along with my old yamaha rx-a1000. I looked online cand couldn't get much over a couple hunded bucks for it, so figured might as well give them to a friend that will get a few more years of enjoyment out of them. They were really excited.

Name:	Everything In Place.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	17156

And here is the final product with the new Philharmonic BMR towers/monitor in their piano gloss finish.

Name:	Everything in place new speakers.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	17157
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 03-02-2022 at 09:55 AM.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I'm looking forward to the pictures loading.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Pictures uploaded finally. Had to use firefox. Chrome was still being weird.....

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Pictures uploaded finally. Had to use firefox. Chrome was still being weird.....
    I see them! It looks great you all did an awesome job.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma