Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: PE Cnote Bookshelf Speakers Build

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    Those are definitely stunning!

Really like the storage layout too
    Thanks!

The storage has been amazing! Way more storage than I had (nearly double)! I used to have 7 of those rubbermaid plastic shelfs that are like $40-$50. They lined both sides of the wall and back area. This design replaced all of those and offered about double the storage, allowed me to use my side door again, and custom made for rubbermaid totes full of camping gear to fit on each shelf! The rubbermaid shelfs only allowed the totes to go on the very top...my back loves the change too.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #42
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

No doubt, I may have to steal that idea for the attic over our garage.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #43
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

For any interested, here are some better picture of the garage storage
    This was also pre-selling a bunch of stuff that I realized through this I didn't need anymore.

Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 09-01-2020 at 09:20 PM.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Pics failed again

5. Back To Top    #45
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

On the last post or all of the posts? Just wanting to know so I know which ones to fix...

Edit* May have fixed them. I didn't have those photos in an album, and just made one with them and they appear to show up for me on other browsers....Maybe google photos just needs to be in an album to keep a permanent URL to them.
    Last edited by Jdunk54nl; 09-01-2020 at 09:21 PM.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

It was just post 44 messing up, but it's fixed now

7. Back To Top    #47
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

I can't see any pictures on post #43.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #48
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    I can't see any pictures on post #43.
    Ok, I give...I'll just upload to the forum and use space.....I'll fix them later though.

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

This painting has been a nightmare.

I had one speaker nicely done, got a couple sides sanded down and polished to give me a nice glossy finish (it actually looked pretty good minus some scratches that I didn't get out). Then I was sanding one of the other sides and the sandpaper started making some black marks that I then couldn't get out and had to sand off the clear coat. When I was doing this also a chunk of paint came out of that side too......

So I sanded them back to a point where I am satisfied until I can re paint them and get over my frustration. I am thinking the temps played a big role. I have been watching some videos and a bunch of them were saying the rattle cans are fairly susceptible to temp issues if you are trying to get a glossy finish (due to the amount of sanding you will need to do) and the clear coats from the main manufacturers apparently take forever to cure.

My new plan.

1a) Assemble them and just enjoy them until it cools down in Phoenix
    1) Sand them down to wood, get some better primer and paint and retry once it is cooler.

I think I am going to use duplicolor this time around. Here is a good video on what I am kind of planning (part 2 of the video)

2) When painting paint outside of my garage so I don't have to spend 3 days cleaning overspray off...stupid move on my part...Got on my motorcycle and RZR as well as my epoxy floor..A lot of scrubbing to get that off.

3) Get a better clear coat product: Spraymax 2k Clear High Gloss
    I have been watching a lot of Brad Angove's videos on youtube and his finishes are super nice with rattle cans but he uses that clear coat at a minimum. Here is a video on the differences between the Spraymax 2k clear coat and the krylon or rust oleum clears.

4) Take my time! I was waiting the recommened time between applications and coats, but I was having issues. I think it was a lot due to spraying in too hot of temps.
    I think I am going to spray the primer, wait a week or so, spray the color, wait a week or so to get a better cure, then spray the clear coat and wait a while to sand it down.

Some days I wish my OCD and my goals would align better. I am sure plenty would have been happy a long time ago...but I know I am capable of a better outcome so I MUST achieve it......

10. Back To Top    #50
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

I have a pretty sweet book on wood finishing.
    I'll let you know when I'm finished reading it.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.