Thread: Effects of changing subwoofer amplifier on mid-bass, lower midrange?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Effects of changing subwoofer amplifier on mid-bass, lower midrange?

I recently swapped out my sub amp., going from an older class AB 150 watts/channel to a modern class D 600 watts/channel crossed at 100hz. Aside from the increase in output and low end extension there is a very discernible increase in mid-bass, lower midrange tonal accuracy, intelligibility, depth, impact and sound staging, in fact the improvement in sound staging is rather amazing.

Now I get how the mid-bass might improve but the effect on instruments like congas, toms, sax, some woodwinds and mid-lower register instruments in general is noticeable. Of course some of these instruments are capable of lower octave reach but the improvement reaches well above the lower octaves.

Anyone care to comment on what's going on?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Effects of changing subwoofer amplifier on mid-bass, lower midrange?

Lower harmonics of those instruments are coming through the sub and the extra power is allowing the sub to play them with more authority. Or it could be that the old a/b amp was just getting tired and needed a cap job. That's my non-expert opinion anyway on that matter. Others will probably be along shortly to say otherwise.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Lower harmonics of those instruments are coming through the sub and the extra power is allowing the sub to play them with more authority. Or it could be that the old a/b amp was just getting tired and needed a cap job. That's my non-expert opinion anyway on that matter. Others will probably be along shortly to say otherwise.
    Otherwise! No, really, that sounds exactly right.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Makes sense. I was just overwhelmed by the improvement and how far above the fundamental it reached. This change in amplifiers has literally changed my life for the better.

"Lower harmonics of those instruments are coming through the sub and the extra power is allowing the sub to play them with more authority."

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
    Otherwise! No, really, that sounds exactly right.
    LOL I had to slip some sarcasm in there.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Al
    Vehicle
    2003 Super Charged Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner 2.7

I got the same feeling when I changed my 2 jbl gtx 500 for 1 nvx 1700 it could be more power true but it just seemed to have cleaner transitions
    if its that good for bass is my old arc audio showing some grey audio hair too?
    Enjoy what you have. There is always more but its not the same as you owning yours!!