Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Apicella Auto Sound Demo Vehicle - 2019 Volvo S60 R Design

1. Back To Top    #41
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Apicella Auto Sound Demo Vehicle - 2019 Volvo S60 R Design

Ok, just threw a tune on it real quick. 3 way front speakers in oem locations. Oem amp outputs as signal. Helix V Twelve at 75 watts per channel. Yeah, it's good. Very large stage. I'm excited for the end result of this build.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #42
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

You're not gonna reveal the (non) issue?

3. Back To Top    #43
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    You're not gonna reveal the (non) issue?
    Some weird auto-mute feature on the radio when you first start the car, and tweeters weren't connected lol

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Nick

Next up was getting the wires run into the door for the tweeters. Since the OEM midrange and tweeter were tied into each other passively inside of the door, we needed to run a wire through the doors molex connector. From the outside, this one really looked like it was going to be a disaster and i would have had to make a second boot. Thankfully, the molex is easily removable, the door is easily removable, and the molex even has a hole on the bottom that can fit a run or two of thin speaker wire through.. perfect for midrange and tweeter. I used the OEM wire for the midrange and ran 18 gauge speaker wire through for the tweeter

Said molex connector. The hole in the bottom is large enough to run some thinner speaker wire (16, maybe 14 gauge max) through with ease. I used 18 gauge

Door off and running wire through

Also got the center channel removed to start the planning and design. The plan is, as mentioned before, to mount a pair of Focal 3.5WM and a single Focal TBM. Unfortunately, this is going to be a bit trickier than i thought due to depth. An Hvac vent protrudes a bit on the passanger side of the grill and is going to make doing this how i wanted to a bit tricky without cutting the vent and patching it, which i'd prefer to not do. But at the same time, i'd much prefer to keep the grill completely flush with the dash as the OEM grill is vs keeping that vent fully unmolested. The plan with the grill is to keep the mids hidden under the grill, and fabricate and B&W style mount for the tweeter. Below that is the B&W trim center channel for this car..

Aside from the plans and what is in photos, this weekend after doing some other side work, i got the "part 1" system pretty much fully buttoned up and wired, rear seats re-installed, and all trim panels re-installed. From here, i need to finish the pillars, finish the center channel (hardly started besides cad files made), finish the sub enclosure, start the amp rack, and get all of the subs and amps and DSP Ultra installed, along with a controller with it, whether its the Director or URC.3 and wifi adapter, im not sure. This trunk will not be a quick process though. Im going to try to push myself. I'm going to have to constantly remind myself to just do it once and do it right. I tend to not do that on my own cars since i have so much other stuff going on and i just want it at least functional. Once its functional, it tends to get a backseat. I cannot do that.

5. Back To Top    #45
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Next up was getting the wires run into the door for the tweeters. Since the OEM midrange and tweeter were tied into each other passively inside of the door, we needed to run a wire through the doors molex connector. From the outside, this one really looked like it was going to be a disaster and i would have had to make a second boot. Thankfully, the molex is easily removable, the door is easily removable, and the molex even has a hole on the bottom that can fit a run or two of thin speaker wire through.. perfect for midrange and tweeter. I used the OEM wire for the midrange and ran 18 gauge speaker wire through for the tweeter

Said molex connector. The hole in the bottom is large enough to run some thinner speaker wire (16, maybe 14 gauge max) through with ease. I used 18 gauge

Also got the center channel removed to start the planning and design. The plan is, as mentioned before, to mount a pair of Focal 3.5WM and a single Focal TBM. Unfortunately, this is going to be a bit trickier than i thought due to depth. An Hvac vent protrudes a bit on the passanger side of the grill and is going to make doing this how i wanted to a bit tricky without cutting the vent and patching it, which i'd prefer to not do. But at the same time, i'd much prefer to keep the grill completely flush with the dash as the OEM grill is vs keeping that vent fully unmolested. The plan with the grill is to keep the mids hidden under the grill, and fabricate and B&W style mount for the tweeter. Below that is the B&W trim center channel for this car..

Aside from the plans and what is in photos, this weekend after doing some other side work, i got the "part 1" system pretty much fully buttoned up and wired, rear seats re-installed, and all trim panels re-installed. From here, i need to finish the pillars, finish the center channel (hardly started besides cad files made), finish the sub enclosure, start the amp rack, and get all of the subs and amps and DSP Ultra installed, along with a controller with it, whether its the Director or URC.3 and wifi adapter, im not sure. This trunk will not be a quick process though. Im going to try to push myself. I'm going to have to constantly remind myself to just do it once and do it right. I tend to not do that on my own cars since i have so much other stuff going on and i just want it at least functional. Once its functional, it tends to get a backseat. I cannot do that.
    The answer is quite simple. Sell the car to one of us for $1.00. Do your best to satisfy your customer. Complete the job. We sell it back to your for $10K. Oh, I mean $1.00...

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

6. Back To Top    #46
    Real Name
    Dustin

Im going to try to push myself. I'm going to have to constantly remind myself to just do it once and do it right. I tend to not do that on my own cars since i have so much other stuff going on and i just want it at least functional. Once its functional, it tends to get a backseat. I cannot do that.
    Along the lines of Ge0's statement... you probably need to treat your own car like a customer's car. That is your whole point with the build anyway, right? "This is what we can do for you." Even if it takes a little more time, make sure that when you're done there isn't a single aspect of the build you wouldn't be proud to show the customer. All the way down to the hidden wiring. It will be worth it.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion

7. Back To Top    #47
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

I'm confused. Your car has the Harman center channel as shown. But, you want to fabricate a tweeter mount similar to the B&W solution. But, the car also comes with a B&W option?

Why don't you just buy a B&W center channel replacement and work with it from there? Wouldn't that look more OEM?

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

8. Back To Top    #48

Agree with the above. Gotta treat yourself good.

Seeing that picture above of the Volvo being worked on with the Civic looking on; made me think of how sad the Civic must be...knowing the end is near. Hahahaha.

Looking good, Skiz! Must be nice to have some tunes going now. I wasn’t envisioning the center channel very well or why the two midranges but now I’m getting it. Cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
    Along the lines of Ge0's statement... you probably need to treat your own car like a customer's car. That is your whole point with the build anyway, right? "This is what we can do for you." Even if it takes a little more time, make sure that when you're done there isn't a single aspect of the build you wouldn't be proud to show the customer. All the way down to the hidden wiring. It will be worth it.
    I was thinking about taking a break from customers cars for a couple weeks to just bang this bad boy out, and properly. Seems like it might be a better option than doing it at nights after an already long and hot day at work

10. Back To Top    #50
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    I'm confused. Your car has the Harman center channel as shown. But, you want to fabricate a tweeter mount similar to the B&W solution. But, the car also comes with a B&W option?

Why don't you just buy a B&W center channel replacement and work with it from there? Wouldn't that look more OEM?

Ge0
    Because i want an apicella auto sound center

Also, itll still need to be modified to house the drivers i want to use