Thread: Time delay and Bluetooth pone calls

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Time delay and Bluetooth pone calls

With the time alignment setup, people calling me can hear themselves talking. It is extremely distracting and annoying. To the point I have considered doing away with the speaker delays.

Are there any tips or tricks you guys have used with success?
    Meh, it'll play.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Time delay and Bluetooth pone calls

How is the mic mounted?

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never had that issue. What's the setup?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I used to install car phones back in the day (yeah, I'm old) and I can tell from personal experience that most of these microphones are somewhat directional. If you don't have it aimed properly, you'll pick up all kinds of stuff other than your voice.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

I have/had this same issue with the factory Handsfree setup... I replaced my factory mic with a better one (from a handsfree set up for helmets) and that solved it for me.... But honestly, if i had to choose between proper time alignment = Staging of music vs hands free calling, music would win out.

another option would be to set up a 'Preset' on your DSP specific for Phone Calls so that when a call comes in, push a button and walla a tuning (No T/A) that does not cause echo or the caller to hear themself and then at the end of the call, back to your listening environment... heck depending on your hardware, you could probably set it up to automatically switch presets based on input signal????

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle

It is the factory mic in the headliner with factory head unit as the source. It is the Dayton DSP with no remote. Changing out the mic is an option....dsp preset is not. I called when my wife was driving the vehicle and it was horrible.
    A more directional mic would be ideal. Having to change a preset for a call would mean simply turning off Bluetooth calling because I don't really want to have to do that and the wife would not accept it. I value seemless integration.

BigAl has given me an idea. I may try to adjust the angle of the mic and maybe some damping and directional shielding as well.
    Meh, it'll play.

7. Back To Top    #7

Your mic is designed along with your phone kit to work together... so x amount of volume from the radio which the mic ignores by negative feedback internally, what you’ve done is boosted the audio level by virtue of amplifiers, it’s likely more to do with increased audio levels you’ve created, in effect it’s feeding back and creating a loop like when you hold a pa mic too close to speakers, they can hear themselves because your speakers are amplifying there voice and your mic then hears it...

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle

Yes, that is also a factor. If I adjust the output levels of the DSP, it works much better but then doesn't get much better than the OEM stereo. If I turn off TA as well, I'm in like Flint and all is good....except then I only have a slightly better than stock stereo.
    Thanks for the tips. The experimenting will begin. Maybe I can find a happy medium.
    Meh, it'll play.