Thread: Installed sub amp, protection light comes on and no output.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Installed sub amp, protection light comes on and no output.

Today I replaced the sub amplifier as part of my new system. What I did was uninstalled the old amp (Rockford Punch single channel) which worked fine and wired the new amp (Kenwood XR-1S single channel) the same as the old one...no changes except in connecting the speaker wire to the sub. When I fired it up I got nothing from the subwoofer, the midbass and tweeters were fine running off of a separate amplifier. I de-wired and rewired the sub amplifier 4 times following the instruction manual but no joy. I removed/replaced the wires so many times that the ferrules mushed and cracked and became useless. As far as I can tell the single sub speaker wire Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200731_205450.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	13030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200731_205500.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	13031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200731_205518.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	13032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200731_205538.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	13033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200731_205544.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	13034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200731_205546.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	13035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200731_205555.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	13036is wired to the amplifier properly per the instruction manual. Frustrating this is

I know that the power/ground wires are installed correctly and I have included a few photos and I am hoping someone will take a few minutes to have a peek or perhaps have an idea of what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for any replies.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANUAL.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	13037

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Re: Installed sub amp, protection light comes on and no output.

Solved but still a mystery. I uninstalled all three amplifiers and disconnected the power/ground wires from the battery/chassis ground, checked everything out and reinstalled the whole kit and caboodle whereupon everything worked. As far as I can tell I reinstalled everything exactly as before but who knows? I am very happy to have music again but these mystery problems always leave a inkling of doubt...but for now all is well.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Jumped in the car this morning and no output from the sub. This time the sub amplifier power light is illuminated and the protection light is not illuminated but still no sound.

Frustrating and I might have the amp looked at.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    Corolla

I uninstalled the new sub amplifier and re-installed the old Rockford and it works like a charm so I am thinking it is the Kenwood sub amp. I bought it BNIB on DIYMA with of course no warranty implied so I'll have a electronics friend check it out.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Did a close inspection of the Kenwood and removed the bottom plate whereupon I found a gouge in the bottom plate itself and also in the heat sink, looks like it might have been dropped...but not by me. I've reached out the seller to see if he will do anything for me about it. Hoping.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOUGE.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	13082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEAT SINK GOUGE.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	13083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEATSINK GOUGE.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	13084

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    Corolla

The seller offered to split the cost of shipping and repair with me which is IMO a generous offer considering I bought this amplifier from him 6 months ago. But shipping from Canada to the USA is a real hassle right now and I don't want to put any more resources into this so it's going back into the closet. I'm now in the market for a 300 or more watt sub amp...any suggestions?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    Corolla

I decided to dismantle the amplifier to check for foreign matter or whatever. An eyeball inspection showed no small bits of detritus so I gave it a good shake and blew it out with compressed air, reassembled the amp and voilą it works perfectly. I am hoping that it will continue to work with no intermittent shut downs as before.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    Corolla

Five days on and the amplifier is still working perfectly and I am a very happy man. Today I started the install of my new mid-bass amp which was going swell until my wife nagged me into flower garden work. Such is life.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Don't let the haters get to you man, stay strong and keep posting updates. We're here to help you though this!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.