Thread: Center speakers

1. Back To Top    #1

Center speakers

What role would they play in a single seat tune?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Re: Center speakers

I wouldn't use one in a single-seat tune unless I was going for a surround sound experience. That's just my opinion though.

I am planning to add my MS8 upstream from with my PXE-0850S so I can run a 7.1 setup or just run a simple 2.1 and retain the ability to customize each channel separately. This will allow me to due a 2-5 seat tune or just keep my single seat for when it's just me.

I don't know how I could improve upon my single seat tune as it stands. My imaging is dead center of the dash from where I sit and my sound stage us up high on the dash like it should be.
    Last edited by cueball981; 07-22-2020 at 04:47 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3

Let's consider the best case scenario: using a Logic7/Dolby Upmixer with a high quality center speaker with proper installation and tuning. The results will be similar in terms of image placement and tonality, but the weakness will be in the reproduction of depth in the recording. The problem is that the center speaker is anchored to a particular location in the car. Sounds in the recording that were intended to seem "deeper" or further back in the stage will still emanate from the center speaker location. It's almost a wall of sound where the 3D depth breaks down. On the other hand, if a one seat stereo system is installed and tuned properly, the phantom center image created should be a few inches above your dash and vary in depth. You will notice that sounds that were recorded up close will sound like they are on your dash or windshield, while further sounds will be pushed back in space, where it seems outside in front of your windshield. It took me a long time to learn these things experimenting with Logic7 and stereo tuning.

If you want the best one seat experience, just stick to the fundamentals of stereo and it will be great.

4. Back To Top    #4

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks!