Thread: Time Delay calcs from your phone

1. Back To Top    #1

Time Delay calcs from your phone

First of all, let me state that this is not intended to be a replacement for ears. /

Time Alignment via physical distance measurement:

Over the years I've found that the quickest way to get roughed in for time alignment is to simply measure the physical distance from your listening position to each speaker and apply the "delay math" to provide you with the amount of time delay you should add for each speaker. This is found in Alpine's manuals as well as some other places. It's not necessarily something that you set and forget, but man, it cuts out 90% of the work quickly.

We've been floating various Excel sheets on this site over the years. I know I've shared the basic t/a calc sheet I made a few years back. I've thought a few times it would be nice to have an app or a site you could visit that you could simply punch the numbers in and get the delay values spit out rather than opening up an excel sheet on a computer you don't have. Especially now that people can use their phones to visit the web for this kind of thing.

With that in mind, I did the basic time alignment sheet in excel. Then I kicked it over to Robert (pockets5) to get it coded up for a site he hosts. This was built with the mobile platform in mind, as opposed to building an app for one O/S.

It's simple to use... pretty much intuitive. When you go to that site, "clear all values", then simply type in your phsyical driver distances from your seat and click "Calculate". Below, the numbers for delay in milliseconds (ms) you need will be spit out.

Note: To keep from re-inventing the wheel, the site was built with a 3-way front stage in mind. If you have a 2-way front stage simply leave the Midbass fields blank.

Stage Shift:

Here's the cool part. Often when I tune, I feel like I've gotten everything pretty well focused. But sometimes I want to move the stage over to one side or the other a bit. What stinks is while fiddling with your delay and your levels, you may lose the focus you had.

So.... The bottom section of the site is an *attempt* to help remedy that. Simply type in how much you want to shift the stage and in what direction (right-hand side drivers, you were thought of when I did this). Once you select the direction, the amount of delay and level you need to alter for each SIDE is provided.

This uses the following logic: a) -6dB per distance doubled and b) midrange delta from your entered speaker distances are used to calculate the amount of attenuation.

Cliffs:

Website you can use to calculate time delay for a 2-way or 3-way front stage + sub, based off physical distance measurements.

Site also tries to help you shift stage and not lose focus.

Access it from your phone to quickly get your setup roughed in.

The site can be found here:

http://tracerite.com/calc.html

- Erin (and Robert)
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Time Delay calcs from your phone

That's pretty slick, Erin (and Robert). Thanks for posting.

3. Back To Top    #3
    a boom box is not a toy jowens500's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

Yup, real cool👍

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I like this. This well help me out tremendously! Thanks for the post.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

The problem I will have is my delay is only L/R or a function of the distance between the closest (driver side tweeter) and farthest (passenger side midrange) speakers. My midrange locations are fixed, my tweeter locations are a-pillar TBD. I don't think I will be able to put my passenger tweeter at a similar delta-distance location as the passenger midrange.

6. Back To Top    #6

right on, can't wait to try it out

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Just when I thought I was done tuning for the moment.

8. Back To Top    #8

Very nice, I'll have a go at it later.

Could you make a metric version as well or is that too much to ask?
    Nick

9. Back To Top    #9

For now, I'll leave that conversion to you guys. But we will try to add it later.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/