Thread: Low voltage on remote turn on wire

1. Back To Top    #1

Low voltage on remote turn on wire

I'm only getting 3 volts from my remote turn on wire on my head unit (Kenwood kdc-bt372u). Can I fix this somehow or do I need a new head unit?

As a work around, I'm using the car's switched power (the same circuit that supplies power to the head unit when the ignition switch is on) to feed the amp's remote turn on input. Could I just leave it like this? What would be the downside? I realize that with this setup, any time the car is on, the amp will be on, but is this a bad thing? I'm listening to music all of the time the car is on anyway.

Thanks.

Will

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Re: Low voltage on remote turn on wire

Are you referring to the Blue/White wire coming from the back of the Kenwood? If so, bummer... Can you return the unit for a replacement?

If not, there are a couple of options; if you want to "turn on" accessories (like an amp or power antenna) ONLY when the radio is on, then use a relay... OR if you dont care that the accessories are on when the car is on, then keep it the way you have it now...

If you decide to go the Relay route, you should be able to snag one at any Car Audio store, if you go to an auto part store, just tell them you need a single pole double throw / 5 pin relay.
    Here is a picture of one, you dont relay need a 40 amp (shown below) but they are generally the most common
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relay.PNG 
Views:	317 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	12748

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, its the blue/white wire on the Kenwood and not eligible for a refund unfortunately. Its only amps that I'm trying to control so think I might leave it as is. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that with the remote connected to amps? If yes try disconnecting it and seeing what it rises to if disconnected from all loads... if it’s 12v then defo try a relay to reduce load on the hu

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm getting 3 volts with nothing connected.

6. Back To Top    #6

That may not be enough to even pull in a relay if that’s no load

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

What kind of car is it in? Is it a PWM electrical system? Did you bench test the headunit?

This is a real longshot but I'm curious because sometimes PWM can cause voltage issues in equipment that wasn't designed with PWM in mind.

If a relay is needed, look at solid state relays. Some will switch with a 3V trigger.
    Last edited by Smitty; 07-19-2020 at 05:44 AM.
    Meh, it'll play.