Thread: Giving 10-15 year old equipment a refresh!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Matt
    Vehicle
    Toyota Hilux Revo

Giving 10-15 year old equipment a refresh!

Hi all, I've been out of the car audio scene for a fair while (working away), long story short I have a whole load of equipment from systems I built when I was much younger, it just needs a bit of attention before turning it on!?

The worst problem is the degrading the speaker rubbers on a pair of Diamond TDX 15 D4's. It doesn't look beyond saving but I think some excursion in its current state wouldn't end well. Is there something I can treat this rubber with to make it more supple? Was thinking coconut oil? (I'm in Thailand!?)

I have a set of Diamond HEX S600s components, rubbers on the midbass/midrange look ok but again they'd probably appreciate a bit of nourishment as the TDX's.

For the rear end I have some Orion C63's, these look like brand new.

Also have some Cerwin Vega HED-1502 components which look very good, not sure what I'll do with these yet.

Amplifier wise I don't have much unfortunately, for the front and rear (for now) it'll have to be a Sony Xplod 800w max / 400w RMS, I'll change this for something decent later. Subwoofers all I have left is 1x brand new Directed 1500d (I used to have 4 powering the TDX's).

This is all going into a 2016 Toyota Hilux, I plan to put a built in system with something like the JL 13TW5V2 hidden behind the rear seats along with a couple of amps. I'll make a decent sized box for a TDX so I can just connect that in when I want some deep 15" bass. For now the TDX is all I'll be running because I don't have the JL sub yet. So far I've prepared the rear doors, sound deadened, mounted speakers and crossovers, all thats left to do for the rears is block up the huge holes in the inner panel. Rear bulkhead is sound deadened, started on the front left door today, half sound deadened now, will finish tomorrow and mount the midbass/midrange. Ordered some aluminum to make a custom amp rack. and a new tweeter panel to take the large unit.

Thanks,
    matt

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Matt
    Vehicle
    Toyota Hilux Revo

Re: Giving 10-15 year old equipment a refresh!

Update:

After doing some research online I bought some of this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	341-287_HR_0.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	13151

I've given the cone of both TDX's a quick clean with a gentle baby wipe to remove the dust and general grime. Then I coated the rubber of one TDX to see how it works out. I used a soft sponge and applied the chemical to this, then gently wiped over all surfaces of the rubber:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 12.55.51.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	13152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 12.55.59.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	13153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 12.56.07.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	13154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 12.56.25.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	1,024.0 KB 
ID:	13155

Looks pretty good so far, over the next week I'll reapply more chemical until saturation point. All being well with this one I'll do the other, and the components.

The rest of the build, Amp racks are pretty much finished, all speaker cables have been run from the amp into the doors. Location for a Full Throttle battery has been found and the battery ordered. Just need to decide on a source unit now.

Cheers,
    Matt