Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to me about cabin gain

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Talk to me about cabin gain

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    And guns and pet cats .

Seriously. The guy was our Patrick Bateman of 2005 --> 2008. Smart as hell. Sometimes of the wall ideas. Always trying to be helpful.

He is the one that introduced the concept of time delayed differential rear fill to the DIYMA crowd. I implemented it into my system in 2008 and soon became an advocate to this day.

Ge0
    Except glasswolf isn't an absolute hack lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Blu View Post
    Was Glasswolf the same fellow who also went by the user names Werewolf and Lycan?
    Yes. I can verify this.

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Except glasswolf isn't an absolute hack lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Touche

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Charles
    Vehicle
    2015 RAV4

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Yes. I can verify this.

Ge0
    Thanks Ge0

I always appreciated his posts. Beyond the attributes you mentioned of being really smart and helpful - he had a way of being able to communicate pretty complicated topics in a way that were fairly easy for the average person to grasp. Too bad he doesn't post much anymore (that I'm aware of anyway...)

Apologies to the OP... I didn't mean to take this off track.

5. Back To Top    #15

No worries. I've gotten the education I was looking for.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    These were considered "cheater" cars because of their amazing cabin gain and hatchback assisted horn qualities. So much that after a while you would lose respect for using this car to produce big numbers. Small Toyota trucks too. They had that big space behind the seats you could fit 15's in and the cabin gain was ridiculous.
    It’s only the same as buying a car for sq, bmw with kick panel locations or under seat woofers for example or the Europeans using pandas for db drag, at the end of the day there will always be cars with advantages, but also disadvantages... crx’s had the disadvantage of having a full dashboard also... something pandas and Marbella didn’t have, it’s just finding the sweet spot where they peak and making the most of it... crxs would’ve been better were the cabin the same width as they were high pandas and Marbella were pretty much cubes with the length twice the height... funnily enough my old van was the same, and it was horrible for balanced bass, you want the old 3:4:5 ratio to make a decent sq car so standing waves are all equally spaced as an example...

7. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Dan17ExplLtd View Post
    How much impact does the size of the vehicle have on cabin gain? An SUV vs a smaller 2 door coupe for example.
    Here's a more specific way to determine your car/truck's starting frequency for cabin gain.
    Measure the longest distance inside your car, in feet, call that "L", the frequency you're looking for is "F":
    F = 565/L
    As you've already learned, you can expect 12 db per octave as the frequency declines, up to a point. A leaky/flexible car will roll off at a higher frequency than a sealed car, a perfectly airtight and rigid car won't roll off at all, hence the crazy stuff you see in SPL vehicles.