Thread: Pioneer ARC App - wont work with my new Android Phone :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Pioneer ARC App - wont work with my new Android Phone :(

I live much of the time on a boat, (in the Manchester), with a 12V power system, so have always had car radio head units to supply my AV entertainment.

About 3 years ago I bought a Pioneer DEH X7800DAB head unit to replace a Sony that had given up the ghost after 6 years. The nice thing about the Sony, for use in a boat, was that it had a remote control. I couldnt find a single DIN with a remote control so plumped for the Pioneer on the basis that it has the Pioneer ARC app.

With some initial teething problems, I managed to get the ARC app to work between my iPhone 6S and the head unit. In order to get it to connect to the app, I had to make sure that nothing else in the local area was emitting Bluetooth. The iPhone has worked fine as a remote control for the head unit for 3 years, and still does - all good!!

However, I have recently upgraded to a new Samsung S10, (Android Version 10), and, whilst it connects to the head unit fine with Bluetooth, and plays music from a variety of apps on the phone, I cannot get it to connect to the app.

I've tried resetting the head unit, got the latest firmware, everything that I can think of, and everything I can find on the web.

I managed to get it to connect to the app with a USB connection but, any music/noise came out of the phone and, after a few seconds the app disconnected, and the head unit turned off.

The app info says it works with Android 4.1 upwards, but says it doesnt work with a USB connection above 7.? It also hasnt been updated since early 2019, so Pioneer seem to have stopped supporting it.

Has anybody got this ARC app working with and Android Phone? Which update of Android? Could it be that the app doesn't work with the latest Android phones?

Is there anything that I can try, or is it time to give up and either make do with keeping the iPhone as a remote, or get a new head unit?

Any recommendations for a head unit with an app that will definitely work with the latest Android phones, in particular, my Samsung S10, on Android Version 10.

If it's a new head unit, I cant say money isn't an issue, but I have been looking at units up to about £300, and might consider fitting an amp to improve sound quality if appropriate. I like the talk of the sound quality of the Pioneer DEH 80PRS.

However, my biggest concern/irritation right now is getting this ARC app to work on my new phone

Many Thanks,

Richard

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: Pioneer ARC App - wont work with my new Android Phone :(

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pioneer ARC App - wont work with my new Android Phone :(

Thanks for the pointer..... it seems that the app relies on bluetooth and not an IR blaster, which I dont think the DEH X7800DAB has.

Whilst messing about one night a few days ago, I reset the headunit in a few ways, and turned all my blutooth transmitters off, leaving only the Samsung on, and the app connected and worked fine for the evening - I could do everything I could previously do with the iphone.

Next morning when I tried again, it was back to normal and the headunit was not controllable from the app.

Thus, there must be a way in, and probably a particular sequence to get it to work, but I'm damned if I can replicate the sequence I used when it worked.

I think I've given up trying now, and have opened a door to rejigging my sound system.

Thanks for taking a look and trying!